Tried real plants, tried silk plants... now what?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by DianeCee, Dec 4, 2012.

1. DianeCee

DianeCee Valued Member Member

When I started my tank, I knew I wasnt into special lighting and fertilizing and all the care that went into real plants so I spent a fortune for silk plants and I loved how they looked. But when the algae basically soaked into the fibers and it takes an hour (and alot of scalded skin) to soak and scrub them in hot water to only get 80% of them clean, I tried some live plants. That didnt work out, the leaves died within 2-3 months.

My question is, can plastic plants look realistic/good? Post pictures if you can too!

Thanks!

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I artificial plants can look great in an aquarium, not necessarily realistic but nice for what they are, fake.
    Here's a pictue of my 55 with nothing but fakes plants, it has live ones now:
    [​IMG]

3. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

What live plants you got now? I too started with fakes and now I only have one fake

4. Matt B

I wasn't sure if you were talking to me but if you click on my name they're all there. :)

5. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Pics?

6. Matt B

Millions of them! Click on the link in my signature to go to my 55 build thread, its very long with lots of pictures. The tank is still unfinished.

7. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

Do tanks ever get into the "finished" state? lol

Edit:
    As far as plants go I have two live plants in two tiny cute little pots that are doing much better than when I try to plant them. I have had a few fake looking plastic plants but I will let you know if I get any nice ones in the nest few weeks.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  8. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I have fake plants, too, because live are way too much of a pain. I'll leave those to the Live Plant Geeks.

9. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

Live plant geeks :) lol. I don't fertilize my tank. And its not even substrate. Its gravel. And my plants are booming! Lol. Java moss is really easy. Just throw it it! Tadaa! Lol and I have a sword that I put in. And a week later it has a stalk to the top of the tank already :) plants aren't too hard. Just have to get easy ones

10. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I think my Mbunas would have them tore up like a plant shake. They already have my substrate tore up around the rocks with their multiple housing project going. :)

11. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

Lol. That's why I love the java moss. It doesn't care if its in tiny chunks. It'll still grow :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice