Help Trident Java Fern

Yecats75

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently bought 6 trident java ferns. They looked good when I got them- 2 were especially strong-looking. After about a week, 3 have gone brown and appear to be melting. I tied them with a tiny bit of sewing thread to lava rock, each to a separate rock (for ease of care/mobility). The thread only loops around the rhizomes 2-3 times, so not smothered. The rhizomes still look green on all the plants. What’s going on?
TANK PARAMETERS
Medium light- it’s a Beamswork LED strip
pH 7
GH 180+
KH 60
Temp 76
NO2 0
NO3 20
(sometimes I get those reversed, so forgive me if I screwed that last bit up)
I dose pretty heavily because I have a lot of plants, and this is a new tank that just got its first fish today. So Thrive squirts, Seachem Nitrogen additive (bc no fish poop). I use Thrive caps too but wouldn’t expect that to matter for the rhizomes.

andychrissytank

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
your tank parameters are simply very different from their original tank parameters. its typical for when that is the case, some of the plants will melt away and come back. you can ease up a little on the dosing since you are short 3 plants now but give it time and it should come back

SeattleRoy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Yecats75,

I have grown Microsporum pteropus 'Trident' for many years. You did not mention if the plants you received were 'tissue culture' or grown submerged. If tissue cultured the loss of the emersed grown leaves is common because they cannot 'breath' underwater due to the thick cuticle layer of the leaves. If the rhizomes are still green it is likely that new leaves will start to emerge in a few weeks and the plants will recover.

Also, andychrissytank is correct, if the plants you received were grown submerged, but your water parameters are substantially different than the tank they were grown in, loss of leaves will occur. As long as the rhizomes are green it is likely they will grow back as well. Hope this helps! -Roy
wdpvuUibVfieICg5_0MaWrcXXWbffEdjOiYw=w1000-h819-no.jpg

OP
Yecats75

Yecats75

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, I’m down 3 from the 80-100 that are in there, so I’ll keep the ferts, but thanks for the response! My gut was telling me it’s just transitioning, but I’ve never kept trident before and needed encouragement.
SeattleRoy said:
HI Yecats75,

I have grown Microsporum pteropus 'Trident' for many years. You did not mention if the plants you received were 'tissue culture' or grown submerged. If tissue cultured the loss of the emersed grown leaves is common because they cannot 'breath' underwater due to the thick cuticle layer of the leaves. If the rhizomes are still green it is likely that new leaves will start to emerge in a few weeks and the plants will recover.

Also, andychrissytank is correct, if the plants you received were grown submerged, but your water parameters are substantially different than the tank they were grown in, loss of leaves will occur. As long as the rhizomes are green it is likely they will grow back as well. Hope this helps! -Roy
wdpvuUibVfieICg5_0MaWrcXXWbffEdjOiYw=w1000-h819-no.jpg
Thank you that’s beautiful and exactly the bouffant style I’m hoping for! The plants were not tissue cultures... the look and feel like submerged growth to me, but it’s my first go with trident so I could certainly be wrong.

SeattleRoy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Yecats75,

Give the rhizomes a few weeks and see if new leaves start to emerge.

New Threads