Trickle filter or HOB?

1. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

I'm looking at adding a 140L(39g) to my MTS. It's down to tanks really, one has a HOB (familiar with those as I have 3 already) and the other has a trickle filter in the top.
    Does any one prefer one over the other? I have no experience with trickle filters, are they easier to use than HOBs? More complicated? Advantage or disadvantage?

I'm looking at a community setup with easier fish like some platties, swordtails, maybe some cardinal tetras and the like.

Any advice would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I think it depends more on the filter itself. My first HOB was garbage but the one i have now is great, Its more like a mini canister filter really. When i was looking for a new filter I found a 6 compartment trickle filter that looked great but was too long for my tank.

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I prefer a combination (the Fluval C series is a HOB with a trickle feature), but I'd pick the HOB if it was one or the other.

4. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

I guess the biggest doubts I have is
    1) if the spray/trickle bar runs nearly the length of the tank how is the water running through all of the sponge and bio media. 2) will the spray/trickle bar become a haven for junk and require constant cleaning out due to eventual blockages

The tank with the trickle filter comes with a better stand and lighting compared to the tank with the HOB so I'm caught in two minds about it

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

I use trickle filters in all my tanks, and have been doing so for most of my tanks for many years.
    My preference toward the trickle filter is based on the ease of regular cleaning and maintainance.
    IMO the trickle filter is so simple and yet so very effective.
    There are 3 or possibly 4 stages of filtration involved.
    From the top its a coarse wool filter
    Then a fine wool filter
    Then Bio-balls to oxygenate the water
    And finally a section large enough to house large quantities of ceramic rings, which is where the water is finally processed by the Beneficial Bacteria.
    before being pumped back to the tank.
    There are usually no fancy expensive filter pads to buy, and the wool is as cheap as chips to buy and easy to get at for cleaning or replacing .

6. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Thanks.
    I myself don't run filter cartridges in my HOBS I have a course sponge and wool. Yeah don't see the benefit of changing filter cartridges and losing bb when it's doing what a sponge and wool do anyway.

But I went back to LFS today and had a really good look at the tank and spoke to guy at length about it.
    Apparently this tank isn't a trickle filter in its true sense, in that it's actually a pressurised enclosed system that the water is pumped up and push through the 4 compartments rather than trickling down from a tube.

Think I found my next tank :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

So this pressurised filter is 4 compartments horizontally, or vertical ? ( Just curious ) not that it really matters, as long as the correct media can be installed and maintained easily.
    Good Luck with the new tank

8. Paul1792 Member Member

Fluval C series with its trickle chamber and other great features is the greatest thing in HOB Aquarium filtration ever. Makes AquaClears obsolete. I love all three of mine !!!!!!.

9. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Horizontally. Comes up from the tank goes through coarse media, fine media bio-balls and ceramic noodles then back into the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Machine11 ,
    Sounds like it could be an excellent filter, especially as its pressurised.
    Dont forget ! cycle it with the tank
    Good Luck