Trick To Fish Digging Up Plants

fishferfun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a feather fin catfish who tears through and pulls up my newly planted items. Is there a trick to keeping them at least in the substrate long enough to take root and help them get their bearings?

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you tried attaching the plant to something heavy like a rock? You can attach it under the plant so the rock isn't visible. I'd imagine that would make it harder for the fish to move it around.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A fish that can get that big will be able to uproot your plants regardless of how well they're planted or established.

Learn to laugh at it. That's my only advice. Lol

My dwarf gourami devours some of my plants and doesn't touch others. At this point I don't mind and find it funny, but it drove me crazy at first. I started feeding him more veggies and algae based foods in hopes he was eating them because he was craving greens. Didn't work. I think he just has fun doing it.

fishferfun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A fish that can get that big will be able to uproot your plants regardless of how well they're planted or established.

Learn to laugh at it. That's my only advice. Lol

My dwarf gourami devours some of my plants and doesn't touch others. At this point I don't mind and find it funny, but it drove me crazy at first. I started feeding him more veggies and algae based foods in hopes he was eating them because he was craving greens. Didn't work. I think he just has fun doing it.
Ok, this is funny because a couple years ago I posted on here asking if anyone ward gourami ate there plants and EVERYONE said either no or would guess not. lol Where were you then?

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lol ya I've read threads about them not eating plants too. Mine ate all my vals, my banana plant roots (then the rest of the plant died), and my hygrophila difformis. He almost fully devoured one of my other plants but I moved it to my betta tank and now it's nice and healthy. I'll put it back soon so he can have some veggies.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Try to take a water bottle cap and cut an X in it then put your pinkie through it then your stem plants and then bury the cap it does a good job holding plants down

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom