Trials And Tribulations Again?

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here is a video, i just fed them, all fish are eating but Ranga is hiding near the sponge filter..
Oh, Sabrina, this sounds so much like what was going on with my Outcast! I think it was @jmaldo who posted the link to the Discus NADA page on classifying Discus colors (if not, my apologies and thanks to whoever it was), and after reading that very helpful article, I explored the site. There’s also a page about diseases common to Discus, and the very first one about internal flagellates sounded a lot like what had been going on with Outcast. Everything matched, except I hadn’t seen the white feces - but that’s only because I never saw him poop. I wish I had seen this article sooner, but by then it was too late. I had dosed the hospital tank with General Cure, which contains Metronidazole, but not at the levels called for in this article, and while I had raised the temp in the tank to 88F, this article recommends 92F. Since the treatment won’t harm your other Discus, and it won’t affect your filter bacteria, it might be worth a try? Not sure if you can get Metronidazole in Australia, though. If not, I’d be happy to get some and send it to you. Here’s the link to the article
Diagnosing Your Discus

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi @BarbaraLocke thanks for that link, i think she has both internal parasites and gill fluke, im trying to source another small tank to treat her in as the fluke treatment will ruin BB and thats the last thing i need in the main tank right now as it already seems the Nitrate has gone missing in it today! For the time being she has been moved to the 3 foot with the Cories to stop spread of anything to my other Discus which seem completely unaffected right now.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi @BarbaraLocke thanks for that link, i think she has both internal parasites and gill fluke, im trying to source another small tank to treat her in as the fluke treatment will ruin BB and thats the last thing i need in the main tank right now as it already seems the Nitrate has gone missing in it today! For the time being she has been moved to the 3 foot with the Cories to stop spread of anything to my other Discus which seem completely unaffected right now.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed that you can get a small tank for treating Ranga, and that she’ll recover :emoji_fingers_crossed::emoji_thermometer_face:! Once their immune system gets compromised, the problems can cascade, and then you’ve got to decide which pathogen to fight first if the meds can’t be mixed (which is usually the case), so it can be tricky. Virtual hug - you’ve already been through a lot!! Keep us posted!

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi all, been awhile since i updated this thread, so for anyone that was following it here is an update :)
Things have become a lot more peaceful and im actually enjoying fish keeping with my Discus now, the tanks are cycled, shock horror lol. And Ranga seems to be enjoying the tank and her buddies more these days, never really worked out what was wrong with her, perhaps a combination of bad water quality and stress..
So currently out of the 6 discus only 3 are growing, little blue, big blue and ranga seem to be stunted in growth and have only become thicker, not bigger in size. The Turq (now known as cheeky), tiny and teeny are still growing, i think they will all get to full size if im lucky.
Here is a video i took yesterday of my Discus tank with a running commentary of the fish in it...

Here is Cheeky when i first got her 11 weeks ago, and then a photo taken this morning, quiet a remarkable fish..

And here is Teeny 6 weeks ago and then a photo taken yesterday, in the red circle, he has doubled in size..

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I did a bad thing!
So, i brought home 2 new Discus about 2 hours ago, two new babies! My 3 foot tank was empty from selling all the Angelfish babies yesterday, only had the 2 Corys in it, so perfect QT tank for the 2 new discus right? Well, so i thought! I released the 2 new Discus from the bags and all was ok for a few minutes, then Terror (the new Turq) decided it was Sparta! Chasing the new PB around at high speeds, ending up like a projectile missile flying through the tank and ramming into the side of the PB! I was like, what on earth is going on here?? So this went on for 20 minutes, the PB starting to become very stressed by the constant attacks. I could not help myself! I had to sort this out asap, so i grabbed Tiny (1 of my current stock) and placed him in the 3 foot with the 2 new ones, Tiny is slightly bigger than them and knows how to defend himself, or so i thought! Terror bashed Tiny up! Again, im like, whats going on here?? I thought Tiny would sort him out, but Terror was on a war path! Right, so i grabbed Little Blue from the 4 foot and placed him in the 3 foot, i know for sure he can hold his own. Little Blue took the move badly and laid on his side for about 10 minutes on the bottom of the tank, poor baby! I suspect he got hurt in the net or was just in pure shock. Eventually he came good and within minutes of being upright he sorted the little Terror out! I think seeing Little Blue, Tiny gained his confidence back and gave Terror a few good body whacks to show him not to be a bully. The new PB just watched on and tried keeping out of the way during all this excitement. Now, about 40 minutes later all fish have settled down and are pecking around the bottom of the tank at the foods... Am i a bad fish keeper? I think i over reacted to this but i just cant handle bullies! I know i have put my current stock in danger adding them in with the 2 new ones, but :(

Here are the new ones..

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did a bad thing!
So, i brought home 2 new Discus about 2 hours ago, two new babies! My 3 foot tank was empty from selling all the Angelfish babies yesterday, only had the 2 Corys in it, so perfect QT tank for the 2 new discus right? Well, so i thought! I released the 2 new Discus from the bags and all was ok for a few minutes, then Terror (the new Turq) decided it was Sparta! Chasing the new PB around at high speeds, ending up like a projectile missile flying through the tank and ramming into the side of the PB! I was like, what on earth is going on here?? So this went on for 20 minutes, the PB starting to become very stressed by the constant attacks. I could not help myself! I had to sort this out asap, so i grabbed Tiny (1 of my current stock) and placed him in the 3 foot with the 2 new ones, Tiny is slightly bigger than them and knows how to defend himself, or so i thought! Terror bashed Tiny up! Again, im like, whats going on here?? I thought Tiny would sort him out, but Terror was on a war path! Right, so i grabbed Little Blue from the 4 foot and placed him in the 3 foot, i know for sure he can hold his own. Little Blue took the move badly and laid on his side for about 10 minutes on the bottom of the tank, poor baby! I suspect he got hurt in the net or was just in pure shock. Eventually he came good and within minutes of being upright he sorted the little Terror out! I think seeing Little Blue, Tiny gained his confidence back and gave Terror a few good body whacks to show him not to be a bully. The new PB just watched on and tried keeping out of the way during all this excitement. Now, about 40 minutes later all fish have settled down and are pecking around the bottom of the tank at the foods... Am i a bad fish keeper? I think i over reacted to this but i just cant handle bullies! I know i have put my current stock in danger adding them in with the 2 new ones, but :(

Here are the new ones..
View attachment 628739
View attachment 628740
Been out of the loop for a while, and for some reason the pix aren’t showing (but I saw them in your pm). Sounds like you had quite a day trying to get the new kid to play nice! It’s funny how they can look all peaceful and congenial in the store, but show where they think they should be in the pecking order when you get them home! Can’t think of the term at the moment, but at some point most people put one or two fish from the tank the new ones will be going to in the QT, to expose everyone to the pathogens each carry - so you just ’accelerated’ that process! :)

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just experienced a somewhat similar situation with the rams I got from @coralbandit
Everyone went into the QT, exploring their new home. Then the "Gold" pair became terrors. Chasing the others constantly even tag team chasing. Even riled up the cories. Against my better judgement had to move them out. Just be careful!

Learning all the time.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks guys, all seems well in the 3 foot at the moment, things are some what calm in there today, thankfully :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom