trial and errors of a new aquarim owner.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by crystalm04, Jul 22, 2015.

1. crystalm04

crystalm04 Valued Member Member

The trials and errors of keeping fish. I am new to this hoppy and every day its something else. I did take on this responsibility knowing I would be responsible for my fish and their lives and I'm really trying hard.

Had no clue what I was getting into when I decided to get my children a fish tank. Within 5 weeks I ended up with three tanks. Overwhelmed here, but I have my fish and am determined to take care of them just like I do all my other pets and family. Every day is something new and I guess as a new aquarium owner three tanks in less than two months is just .... wow. First question is one of my guppie males got bullied in my 37 gallon by my silver tip tetras. Got his fin nipped and so I moved him to my 10 gallon tank which only houses two female guppies. Will his tail grow back and how can I help him? He seems more at ease there but I'm very concerned about his tail. My 37 gallon tank still seems to not be cycling. I have seen here about using TSS and I started my other two tanks with API quick start and it seemed to work and I had some left over and used it for my 37 gallon however, im having crazy PH spikes in 37 gallon and today high ammonia spikes. I have no nitrites or nitrates in it so that leads me to believe it may just now be cycling. My main concern is I do have fish in there and I would not recommend quick start cause it obviously didn't work for me. What do I do now? I did two water changes in it in three days and got a ammonia to lower but pH is stll low. It went from a 7.5 to a 6.8 and now a 6.6. I had another thread about Ph and I started using coral but should I do that if my tank may not be cycled? Ughhhh just don't know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

You can use the coral in the tank while it's cycling, won't hurt a thing. I like stability over TSS, but that's just my personal preference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Do you think at this point since I already have fish in there it would hurt them to start over with TSS or stability or should I just let it run its course. My ammonia on Monday was at .5 and 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Ph was 6.6. I did a water change today which got my ammonia down to in between 0 and .25 very faintly a .25 still 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates and PH went up to 6.8 since I added coral to my filter in 24 hrs.

4. Bijou88

I would go ahead with the TSS or stability, it's not really starting over just adding to. It'll just speed things along for you. :)

5. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Test your tap water for ph & ammonia, water needs to sit out for at least 24 hrs b4 testing ph to get an accurate reading. Try to do frequent water changes in the guppy tank, it will help speed up his recovery. Seachem Stability is dosed daily for about 7 days, and you can continue to do daily water changes wile using it ( just double the dose )Tetra Safe Start is one time dosing, and a water changes need to wait for 2 weeks,

Are you using Seachem Prime to help protect your fish from ammonia/nitrites ?

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Any time you have issues post them here. The odds are someone will be able to help you out.

7. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

That's why I love Fishlore. I was watching Youtube fish tank videos earlier today. The difference between Fishlore and Youtube, when someone has a major issue or has made a huge mistake:

Fishlore: Okay, don't panic, here's what you need to do to fix your issue.
    Youtube: You're an idiot. Don't keep fish.

Don't feel overwhelmed. People are here to help.

8. Bijou88

Besides, we like answering questions if we're able, makes us feel useful ;)

9. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I am a fan of stability. Not once in all the years I have used it has it let me down. But I also always do a fishless cycle.

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I can say the same. Ever since I found out about it, I prefer it much more to TSS, it just seems like a much better product. Going on 8 cycled tanks over the past 3 years I've kept fish and hasn't failed me yet. (8 not at the same time, mind you lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. J

Jenifer Morrison New Member Member

Can not offer anything but empathy as I am a new fish owner too. Seemed like such a GOOD idea at the time, but I am already looking into other tanks cause I can't keep all the critters I want in 1 tank!! Hubby is watching me nervously when I am online looking at fish and supplies and reading forums, ask already asked, " But where would you put another tank?"...Poor man...Anyway, everyone here has been super helpful...and when you ask a question you benefit all the rest of us out here reading :)

12. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I can 100% relate. I also started out 2 months ago with a 10g for my kids to have a few fish in. Knew nothing about the cycle, fish compatibility, proper stocking, etc. It's really a wonder how my original 2 neon tetras and 1 guppy even survived after being put in the tank just 2 days after setup!

But I think fishkeeping is exactly that.. trial and error. I've been on fishlore every single day since my mistakes trying to absorb every info that this forum has to offer. Yes, you may still make more mistakes but it's so great to know that you can rely on ppl on this forum to guide you every step of the way. :)

Good luck! You'll get there!!

13. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Think Ill try the seachem stability since I have fish in there already. I want to be able to do water changes to keep the tank clean for them. As far as my guppy goes. I did a water change in my 10 gallon yesterday and then I moved him to it. He's not looking so great. His tail is missing quite a few chunks. He's just hanging out in a corner and he didn't eat this morning. I was unaware that my silver tip tetras could be such bullies. They don't bother my other male guppy at all. But then again he just hangs out with everyone.

14. Dom90

The above advice sounds good. Seachem Stability is an excellent product that will get you back on track with the cycling. As for the guppy's tail, yes it will grow back in time and with good water conditions.

15. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Everyone has been so helpful and supportive on here. Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out. Even though I didn't know what I was getting into to begin with, I can say that I do enjoy the hobby and I do enjoy taking care of my fish, its just when something doesn't go right and you try and try to fix it that it gets overwhelming. Headed out now to get some seachem stability.:;hi2

quick question. I can use seachem prime along with seachem stability?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  16. Dom90

Yes I'd wait 30 minutes before using Stability though. I'm told you don't need to but it's my personal preference.

17. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

guppys dying. I cant watch. His tail is just too shredded. He tries to swim but then he flips up side down and then he swims a bit again and same thing..... :(

18. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

And he's gone.

19. Bijou88

I'm sorry for your loss :(

20. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Ok so I did a water change to day to get ammonia levels down some and then I used prime and I later added my first dose of stability. Now do I continue to do daily water changes for the next 7 days and double dose each time with stability?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice