Tree In The Aquarium

1. BlackTeeShirt

BlackTeeShirt Well Known Member Member

My daughter decided that her castle would look more castle-y with a big tree. So I made one!

I used a piece of driftwood from the creek, and some artificial plants from my LFS. I think it turned out pretty awesome. I'm going to cut another 2-3 inches from the bottom so it's not so tall. What do you guys think? (Keep in mind it's a tank completely maintained by an 8 year old)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

Well this 8 year old is giving me a run for my money lol :)

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Wow your 8 year old is better at aqauscaping than me! Very inventive idea making the tree, it turned out very well.

Edit: How did you stick it together?

4. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

I like it! I agree it could be shorter. Fun tank!

5. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Nice! And the tree definitely adds to the castle! Good call!

6. OP
    OP
    BlackTeeShirt

Dude... she's pro status. I was setting up the 75 gallon and trying to figure out where to put my driftwood and she was like "maybe move it like a bit to the left, then turn in like a little". She stood there and oversaw the process, and it turned out perfect!

We bought those plants that pop together at the bottom to create sections. We pulled them apart, drilled 9/64 in. holes in the wood, then jammed the bottoms of the "plant" into the holes. No adhesives needed... the bottoms of the "plant" are pretty springy, and hold very tight in the holes.

7. OP
    OP
    BlackTeeShirt

She said that all of the best movies show castles with trees around them, not with bushes. I cracked up so bad!

8. Mike A

Mike A Valued Member Member

I like the style of the tree, it fits very well with the fantasy theme of the tank.

9. Christinadina

Christinadina Valued Member Member

wow, that's fantastic! the whole tank really looks great. good call on your daughter's part!

10. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Wow, nice!

I don't have the eye for scaping, so it'd be nice to have someone around who does!

11. OP
    OP
    BlackTeeShirt

She's really creative. When she's not at school, she's either drawing, painting, or playing with modelling clay. She's also very helpful in the garden.

12. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

How large is this tank?

13. OP
    OP
    BlackTeeShirt

Roughly 40 gallons (I think it's actually 37).

14. Fanatic

What brand? Or custom made?

15. OP
    OP
    BlackTeeShirt

Not positive of brand, I acquired it from a co-worker. I know top fin and marineland both make them, maybe a few others. I believe measurements are 30x12x22 (inches).

16. Fanatic

Nice! Can you tell your daughter, that "Fanatic" really loves your tank!

17. OP
    OP
    BlackTeeShirt

Will do. I've been sharing the comments with her. She's pretty proud of her accomplishment!

18. Fanatic

She should be!

19. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

That looks fun! One of my favorite suggestions for creatives is to have them draw the aquarium background. Then you can laminate it either with contact paper or if you have access to a lamination machine.

20. Fanatic

I love doing that. I've don quite a few.