Treatment with BettaFix

Donetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I decided to treat my Betta Richie with BettaFix for his finrot and swim bladder symptoms. I began treatment yesterday. I added 2.5 tsp for 5 gal of water. When I got home I noticed black streakings in his fins that wasn't there yesterday. Has anyone experienced this. I read that horizontal lines are from stress, but I'm not sure if this is what this is.

Edit: also maybe him struggling to swim thru the water is his split fin and not swim bladder?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Donetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm aware of the issues around it, but decided to use it anyway. What I was wondering if anyone noticed fin discolorations with it's use?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I used Melafix in my community, I never noticed any changes in anyone's fins if that helps you.

It may be stress ofbeing poorly that is causing a loss of colour, this can happen, and is often why bettas get more colour when they have been moved from a cup to a nice tank!

Donetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well he's definitely stressed. In addition I also noticed that he has a split in his fin. Last weekend I took out plastic plants and replaced with silks. However when I did the panty hose test the silks snaged more than the plastics,but i used them anyway because people reommend these. I'm just going to start working on real plants, but I can't really work on it until I get back from vacation next Wed. I also have a multi level plat form that I got from Petco. It has alot of jagged edges. The sales lady told me to file the edges and i did, maybe I missed a spot or maybe just too sharp. I don't want to take it out Richie loves it. I'm going ro buy an electric nail file to file it down and see's what happens. Have u heard of people having problems with silk plants too?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've not, not with the silk ones, but every one will be different and there could be some rough edges towards the tops of the stems. One of mines seems to be a bit rough, I'm keeping an eye on it actually, just like you!

You're doing the best you can, and the same as any of us would do, by checking everything carefully. Try daily water changes to keep the water pristine, this does a lot of good for fins (stress coat & vita chem). My most recent betta, Atlas had a cloudy eye which cleared up within a week - all I did was daily water changes. Funnily enough, now he has split fins too, so I'm back on them lol!! At least we can share the pain of dodgy fins together!

Good luck!

Donetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How did his fins split? Can they split without having something sharp in the tank?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads