Treatment for Tropical Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jcheung2020, Aug 4, 2015.

1. j

jcheung2020 New Member Member

Hi I was wondering if I am doing my treatment properly. So I'm going to start from the beginning I have a 47 gallon tank (I know that's weird) I have 6 tiger barbs, 4 small bala sharks (they will be transferred to a bigger tank when ready), as well as some algae eaters, and a asian water fern. I've noticed maybe 2 days ago that my bala sharks have a slight tint of red on their fins (pectoral and tail). I've seen this before with goldfish and it's quite deadly if not treated if I remember correctly. Hemorrhagic Septicemia? So I went to petsmart where I bought my fish and they weren't too helpful they told me that it was ammonia burn, but that's highly unlikely because ammonia would have to be present first of all (which it isn't) and it would have to be extremely high. So I went to Petco, which was a bit more helpful, one of the employees recommended PimaFix, and the description for it matches up with what i'm seeing with my bala sharks. So I bought it and tested it out earlier today. The directions said to take out any carbon filters if possible, and treat the tank daily for 7 days and on the 7th day do a 25-50% water change. I have a penguin 200 filter so it is possible to take out the carbon. But my concern is that isn't there beneficial bacteria on the padding that the fish need? I know that the bio wheel has some as well, but i'm not too sure what the carbon filter actually does other than detoxify chemicals, hence the reason why you can't have it in during treatment. So now that you got the whole back story does anyone know if i'm doing this right? Also how long can the fish survive without the carbon filter present? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

P.S
    I didn't know if I dump the PimaFix in the tank directly or if I put it in the filter to spit out. I went with putting it in the filter without the carbon pad. My logic was that if I put it in the filter it will mix it up more before dispersing it into the tank. Also when I put it in the PimaFix made the surface of the water very bubbly. Is that normal? My barbs thought it was food so they started "eating" the bubbles.

Other Information: The tank has been set up for a month now I use Prime conditioner, and at times when the PH is too high mairneland PH regulator. My parameters for the water is all good accept maybe for the PH 7.8? But I know that the barbs and sharks can handle that.

2. p

ppt New Member Member

First of all remove carbon filter and change 50% of your tanm water.
    Increase temperature by 2 degree Celsius.
    And add blue methane to avoid further fungal infections.
    Thats all, other process will be done by fish own imune system. And remember, feed those sharks as must a live food so that they build a better immune systems.
    Thankd

Sent from my SM-T211 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Rather than removing the cartridge, you can take a knife or scissors and cut a slit in the top of the blue floss material, then dump out the carbon. Once all the carbon is out, you can put the cartridge back on. You can save the carbon is you want to replace it after treatment, or you could change the cartridge, or you could get a bulk package of carbon and media bag and bag your own carbon. Regardless of how you do it, you will want to put carbon back in after treatment because it will remove the medications that are leftover in the water. You can just add the pimafix to the tank, it will get dispersed throughout fairly quickly. In addition to this treatment, you can try soaking the food in garlic juice. This is supposed to increase the immune system and fight diseases. Your pH should be fine where it is. Dont try to mess with it, changes are more harmful than one that is a little higher than their ideal range. Most aquarium fish have adapted to the pH at your store, which is likely the same, or close, to yours at your house.

4. OP
    OP
    j

So should I not use the PimaFix, and what live foods would you suggest? Do you mean live as in still moving or like dried up blood worms? Also when I remove the carbon filter you mean the entire filter pad right? Cause I've been hearing people say cut open the pad and dump the carbon out and put the pad back in. Also will a 50% water change shock the fish? I just did a 25% a week and half ago. Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure everything is correctly done. Thanks.

5. OP
    OP
    j

Thanks for the help

6. alink

You should be doing 30-50% water changes weekly unless your tank is heavily planted. Then you can do 2 weeks between them. As for specific treatment, idk what is best but if the symptoms described match the disease and Pima fix treats the disease then I would assume it's right.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Yep treat with the Pimafix per the instructions. Also, the foaming is completely normal with both Pimafix and Melafix.

8. OP
    OP
    j

Thanks for the help again I just went down and cut open the filter it was hard getting the carbon out since there were four quadrants holding carbon inside but I got most of it out. Is it alright if some of the carbon is inside still. Also a few carbon pieces are floating around the tank right now.

9. Bluestreakfl

Just get out as much of it as you realistically can. A few tiny pieces shouldnt hurt anything.

10. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Pimafix doesn't treat scepticemia or any other internal bacterial infection. Scepticemia if bacterial is treated with trisulfa, while viral scepticemia has no cure. Do not put methylene blue into the tank, unless you want to restart your nitrogen cycle. Methylene blue is the best treatment for ammonia poisoning but it should always be given as a bath, because it is highly destructive of your beneficial bacteria and stains porous substances in the tank.

11. OP
    OP
    j

The bala sharks seem to be doing better all of the red fins have gone away except for one of the sharks. He sometimes floats vertically nose pointed down for a few minutes, and then does his normal routine again. I think that's normal cause I've seen it happen before he got sick, any ideas? Also I was wondering if I could switch up the medicine in the tank I am currently using PimaFix right now but I saw this other medication called Life Guard. They both have the same treatment days and they both do the same thing. I just don't really like the smell the PimaFix is giving off in the tank. So would it be fine switching up the medication the next day to Life Guard?

Side Note: Sometimes when I feed my fish my bala sharks will rub against each other after feeding any idea why?

Thanks everyone for all the help.

12. Bluestreakfl

If youre using one medication its best to run the full course of treatment. Switching mid course could cause stress in the fish, cause unknown chemical reactions, and also potentially make the treatment less effective.

13. alink

From what I know, you should not mix medications. There should be a couple days at least and a water change between medications. The smell will go away when you are done and add carbon back.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Pimafix breaks down in a 24 hour period and there is no concern with developing immunity. It is one of the few medicines that can be discontinued mid-treatment with no ill effects. That said, I wouldn't recommend changing medications when things are clearing up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice