Treating whole community tank for bacterial infection?

Cooksmorrell

I have a couple fish with a bacterial infection and I’ve been reading a couple other forums some people say to dose the whole tank for the infection in case it has spread to the other fish but other post are saying only treat the fish with the infection because you shouldn’t treat healthy fish with medications? I’m pretty confused what do you guys say?

Donthemon

I always treat the whole tank to make sure. Never had any problems.

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

Yeah one of my tanks just recently got attached by a bacterial infection, took out hlaf of my fish️. I started dosing the whole tank and haven't had any problems.

DoubleDutch

Doesn't it depend on what your facing?

Most bacteria are always in a tank. A fish that gets infected in a way can't cope with it (wounded, weakened). If only one fish gets infected the orthers seem to cope and have resistance enough.

I even read recently that meds only buy fish time to cope with the infection itself. This I doubt to be honest.

Most antibacterial meds / antibiotics mess with the filterbacteria as well. Another reason why I would be careful.

angelcraze

What are you dealing with? Columnaris? Have you recently added new fish or are some weak for some reason?

Personally I do not add antibiotics to the main tank. I would use other methods of treatment (which depends on the illness), but never antibiotics. I would feed them antibiotics over dosing the water in the hospital tank, but for external infections, it's often Furan antibacterials that are used in the water. There is some controversy on this subject and everyone does what they feel is right.

A201

IMO, its best to remove the infected fish asap, treat them in a QT tank, or euthanize. Do a large WC after the sick fish are removed.
Bacterial infections are primarily spread
when tank mates graze on the corpse of an infected fish. Although rare, some of the more virulent strains of Columnaris do spread rapidly & by other means. It can be a tank killer. Meds won't help in a situation like that.

Cooksmorrell

Doesn't it depend on what your facing?

Most bacteria are always in a tank. A fish that gets infected in a way can't cope with it (wounded, weakened). If only one fish gets infected the orthers seem to cope and have resistance enough.

I even read recently that meds only buy fish time to cope with the infection itself. This I doubt to be honest.

Most antibacterial meds / antibiotics mess with the filterbacteria as well. Another reason why I would be careful.
Yah this is my fear I guess especially as I'm not finished cycling. I rushed into it but if I knew then what I know now!

saltwater60

Make sure you take out the carbon and other filter media that is chemical based.

angelcraze

Yah this is my fear I guess especially as I'm not finished cycling. I rushed into it but if I knew then what I know now!
Most fish illnesses are caused by sub par water conditions. The first thing to do is provide pristine conditions. Antibiotics will fail if proper parameters are not there. So first ensure your fish are protected against nitrifying cycle toxins and change water as you need to to give your fish a fighting chance. A fish with a compromised immune will be hard pressed for recovery.

Here are some interesting articles explaining some new reasons to be careful using antibiotics

New study suggests antibiotics can weaken the immune system

Antibiotics found to weaken body's ability to fight off disease

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
julifhy
Replies
Views
MonkeMan
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01