Treating Velvet With Cupramine Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Tris, Apr 22, 2019.

1. TrisValued MemberMember

Hey guys so yesterday found out my fish have velvet, I dosed with paraguard, but found out it doesn't do much so I got cupramine today, I did about a 80% water change (150g) and used prime conditioner, planning on dosing cupramine now. Will the prime affect the cupramine?? What should I do? And if anyone has experience with cupramine tips and stuff let me know please. From what I know right now I dose 10 drops per 10.5 gallons, and after 48 hours dose again and leave it for 14 days. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also this is a goldfish tank

2. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

From what I know, Prime isn't supposed to be used with Cupramine because it can convert the Cupramine into a more toxic form. You're supposed to wait 48 hours so that Prime is no longer active before dosing Cupramine. If you need to do a water change, you're supposed to add Prime to separate water 48 hours before you can add that water to the tank with Cupramine.

Here's more about it from Seachem:  

3. A201Well Known MemberMember

Just follow the directions. A copper test kit would be a plus, but they arent always easy to find. Try to calculate the water displacement caused by the substrate & decor and dose the Cupramine accordingly.
    The copper should knock down the Oodinium pretty quick.

4. TrisValued MemberMember

Yes I didn't know but now I've already dosed prime and I don't want to wait for 48 to dose cupramine and lose fish... so I'm kind of at a idk what to do

5. TrisValued MemberMember

I'm thinking of adding 150 drops, I have a trash can filter that holds some water in it too, so I think 150 would be good since each 10 is for 10.5 gallons. I'm just worried about adding it with the prime?

6. A201Well Known MemberMember

Prime somehow chemically enables more copper ions to be released into the water column and probably will kill the fish.
    If you wait 48 hrs. Oodinium will probably kill your fish.
    Maybe another 50% WC as to sufficently dilute the Prime.
    Replace with untreated water. The volume of treated water remaining in the tank should be enough to dilute the small amount of chlorine that might be in the new replacement water. A lot of work.

7. TrisValued MemberMember

I already added the cupramine, a group on Facebook said it was fine. Should I just wait and see what happens? Or should I do like a 50% water change and just don't dose anything in the new water? I'm lost. I did the water change to get out the paraguard in the first place because I read it was harmful to mix it with the cupramine.
    I have goldfish in the tank and a pleco

8. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

9. A201Well Known MemberMember

Since you already dosed the Cupramine I guess just let it ride. Good luck.

10. TrisValued MemberMember

Will they be gasping for air if it affects them bad? So I know to change the water