Treating Ro Water

1. ystrout

ystrout Valued Member Member

Can someone explain this to me? I have two plants in my 20 gallon tank. Danios and tetras live in there.

Do I understand this correctly? RO water has no minerals/salts. So if your tank was all RO water, the salts in the fish's body would diffuse through the fish's gills into the mineral-less water, and they would die quickly from malnourishment.... I understand you have to take care of minerals and hardness (I don't really understand hardness) So can someone explain this to me?

I'll add SeaChem Equilibrium to add back minerals. Next, I read I have to control hardness (which affects pH?) or whatever with Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer. Can someone explain this to me?

So the questions I need answered are:
    1. What is my Desired GH meq/L? I need to know this to see how much seacchem equilibrium to use.
    2. Does RO water have 0 GH meq/L to start out with? Again, this is for the equilibrium calculation of SeaChem's website.
    3. Please just explain kh, gh, hardness, etc. to me as much as you can. I really don't understand it at all.... So I don't know how Acid Buffer and Alkaline buffer with help, be necessary, etc.
    4. Are Seachem Equilibrium and Acid Buffer/Alkaline Buffer all I need to add to full treat RO water (prime too of course)? I want my pH to be around 6.8-7.

Thanks everyone!

2. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

That's a lot of questions! Lol

Why are you using RO anyway?

3. OP
    OP
    ystrout

ystrout Valued Member Member

It is a lot of questions... I have no idea what I'm doing haha.

I don't use it yet... I need to start though. I have no other options.

I just moved appartments and my tap water has .5 to 1 ppm of ammonia in it (generally closer to 1). And it's impossible to get my nitrates low when I'm constantly adding that much ammonia to the beginning of the nitrogen cycle. It also has a very high pH. About 8+. I know pH isn't THAT important, as long as the fish get used to it. But I figured that since I can't use tap water anymore, I may address the pH problem as well.

San Diego tends to have high pH tap water and has never been a problem for me, but the extremely high ammonia in the tap water is a no go for me.

4. kam.exe

kam.exe Valued Member Member