Treating Possible Columnaris In Habrosus, Are My Meds Safe?

Mainelyfish

Reaction score
I have a problem with my habrosus dying one by one. The fish will seem fine, lively, eating well and then one will peel off from the group, lose their appetite, get sluggish, lay in one spot on the substrate breathing really fast. Then they seem to lose all strength and shortly after, die. This continued to happen until one day my lovely Betta also showed signs of dropsy from which he didn't recover.

I moved the last 3 cories over to a hospital tank and based on some advice that I might be dealing with a fungal problem, dosed them with Lifeguard. They immediately freaked out throwing themselves against the glass like something bad was in the water so I did a big water change (80% or so) and they calmed down and all was good. I did some further reading on what I might be treating and it seems that Columnaris might be the culprit so ordered Jungle Fungus Clear and Kanaplex.

While waiting for the meds to arrive one more cory has died of the same symptoms. The remaining two cories still look healthy.
I waited a couple of days after the big water change before adding a fully seeded filter so that the Lifeguard wouldn't kill the good bugs.

Are the Kanaplex and Fungus Clear definitely safe for the inhabitants of both tanks?
Will I have to restart the cycle in the main tank rather than putting the old filter back in after treatment to avoid reinfection?
How long after treatment if it's successful should I wait before putting in a few new fish? (I'm thinking a replacement Betta and 5 or so cories to get them back up to a school.

Water parameters in the main tank and the hospital tank is pH 6.6 Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10, 76 degrees F.
Main tank is 10 gallons with live plants and sand substrate and has been set up for about 6 months.
The main tank filter is a Cascade CPF1 80 gallons per hour. Nothing new added to the tank.
Hospital tank is 5.5 gallons with an ornament, heater and filter.
The Cories share the main tank 2 mellow ghost shrimp and 5 red ramshorn snails that are currently breeding like rabbits.

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
do you see signs of fungus or columnaris? If you don't... then your cories may have been wild caught and that is why they aren't doing well in your aquarium.

I had the same exact problem- i got 3 - two died asap, then i got 3 more .. and 3 died... then i got 10 and i had 11 now i'm down to 5.

Same behavior.. same everything.. i really think they can't handle the aquarium parameters

These last 5 seem to be doing good now so i'm hoping they have adapted to the tank water parameters. It's been about a month.

Mainelyfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've had periods when I've thought that the remaining cories have settled down as well, sometimes as long as a couple of months before the carnage starts up again. The thing that made me think that there was something contagious going on was the loss of the betta. He'd been happy and healthy for over a year so I figured that whatever was getting to the cories must have got to him too.

The maddening thing is that when they're not dying, the cories look like they're thriving, doing their cory thing and looking happy and healthy.

I don't want to introduce new fish to my main tank until I know I'm not dooming them!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom