treating popeye on betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by cheese, Jun 4, 2016.

1. cheeseValued MemberMember

hi, a family members betta has popeye. this occurred a few days ago, and I am now taking care of it. I have been doing 100% daily water changes in a 1 gal plastic bowl for him as its the easiest way I can do a 100% water change. this fish was not in a filtered tank to begin with so I did not remove him from a filtered environment. he will have a cycled tank waiting for him once he recovers as I'm getting one for him asap :) so I googled quick once the tiny amount of fungus on his face turned into a bulging eye...and read to use aquarium salt, or Epsom salt in extreme cases, and do 100% DWC. what should I do? Epsom salt? aquarium salt? medication? just the water changes? any advice is greatly appreciated :) thank you!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

My betta recovered from popeye with just large, frequent changes. I'd move him into a filtered tank as soon as possible, and keep up with the large changes. If it doesn't get better, then I might try meds.

3. OP
    OP
    c

cheeseValued MemberMember

thank you :) I believe you commented on my other post...the breeder box I want to make. my plan was to use it for the betta so it can peacefully live in my 10 gal. so in your opinion, should I be doing 100% daily water changes on the 1 gal, or put him in the 10 and do like a 50% water change daily? also should I try treating with salt? the 10 gallon aquarium is home to ghost shrimp, and not sure if they can tolerate salt, so I may not be able to do salt and filtered tank...what's my best bet here? :)

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

No need for salt.

If the 10 gal is cycled, I would move him to it and do 50% changes daily.

5. OP
    OP
    c

thank you, it is cycled. I will do this today :)

6. OP
    OP
    c

update: his eye, and face below the eye, are still swollen, but definitely look a lot better. looks like he'll make a full recovery without medication :)

7. OP
    OP
    c

update: the little guy is doing great, though still in a breeder net in my shrimp tank, and a 10 gallon tank is cycling for him right now :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice