treating popeye on betta

1. cheese Member Member

hi, a family members betta has popeye. this occurred a few days ago, and I am now taking care of it. I have been doing 100% daily water changes in a 1 gal plastic bowl for him as its the easiest way I can do a 100% water change. this fish was not in a filtered tank to begin with so I did not remove him from a filtered environment. he will have a cycled tank waiting for him once he recovers as I'm getting one for him asap :) so I googled quick once the tiny amount of fungus on his face turned into a bulging eye...and read to use aquarium salt, or Epsom salt in extreme cases, and do 100% DWC. what should I do? Epsom salt? aquarium salt? medication? just the water changes? any advice is greatly appreciated :) thank you!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

My betta recovered from popeye with just large, frequent changes. I'd move him into a filtered tank as soon as possible, and keep up with the large changes. If it doesn't get better, then I might try meds.

3. cheese Member Member

thank you :) I believe you commented on my other post...the breeder box I want to make. my plan was to use it for the betta so it can peacefully live in my 10 gal. so in your opinion, should I be doing 100% daily water changes on the 1 gal, or put him in the 10 and do like a 50% water change daily? also should I try treating with salt? the 10 gallon aquarium is home to ghost shrimp, and not sure if they can tolerate salt, so I may not be able to do salt and filtered tank...what's my best bet here? :)

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No need for salt.

If the 10 gal is cycled, I would move him to it and do 50% changes daily.

5. cheese Member Member

thank you, it is cycled. I will do this today :)

6. cheese Member Member

update: his eye, and face below the eye, are still swollen, but definitely look a lot better. looks like he'll make a full recovery without medication :)

7. cheese Member Member

update: the little guy is doing great, though still in a breeder net in my shrimp tank, and a 10 gallon tank is cycling for him right now :)