Treating Parasites In White Cloud Minnows

DrWigglespank

Reaction score
I have a pair of White Cloud Mountain Minnows that are showing signs of parasites. Their bellies are swollen and I've seen one of them with white poop. They show no signs of being sick, as they're active and they eat well.

I noticed this about two weeks ago, thought they were constipated and made a thread about that. I followed some advice that I was overfeeding them and fasted them for five days. They actually started looking much better, but as soon as I started feeding them again (1/2 what I'd been feeding, and only once a day), they bloated again. Today I finally saw the white poop. It looked normal, other than the color.

I bought these fish two months ago, along with three Otos. I have not added anything to the tank since. The other fish look fine.

Looking over some other posts, I'm thinking I should treat with API General Cure. I don't have a second tank to quarantine these fish, and if it is parasites, I feel treating the entire tank is likely the best thing to do anyway.

I saw a video recommending epsom salt, as well. Should I try this, or just go with the General Cure?

This is a 20 gallon tank. Water parameters are: ammonia - 0, nitrites - 0, nitrates 20-30, ph - 7.8.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
General Cure should work for most internal parasites. It has praziquantel and metronidazole. Yes, I'd treat the whole display tank.

White poop in and of itself doesn't mean it's parasites but if it's long and stringy then I'd be suspicious. If you could take a picture of it perhaps people could help assess.

OP
D

DrWigglespank

Reaction score
The poop I saw wasn't long or stringy, but looked perfectly normal except for the bright white color.

Here's a few photos. Sorry for the horrible quality. I wasn't having luck with pics, so took a video and grabbed a couple screenshots.

All of the other fish look the same as the first pic.

Edit: I should add that I don't believe these fish are fully grown yet. They were about 1/2" long when I bought them, and they're all about 1" long now. I was told they were two months old, and looking at the receipt, I've had them for six weeks. Could these be females with eggs? I read they don't reach sexual maturity until six months old or so.

Last edited:

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bright white color.
White or clear?
Hm. I've no idea, as I've never had these fish before.

as soon as I started feeding them again (1/2 what I'd been feeding, and only once a day
Maybe it's the food, then. What are you feeding? I have a platy that for whatever reason would get diarrhea (clear, long poop) with Omega One flakes, and is the only one that had a problem with that food. I'm not sure if it was the flake food or maybe an ingredient that didn't agree with him, but after I stopped feeding it, he's had no problems.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Based on the info and pics provided I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of parasites.

I had an incredible amount of white fungal bloom on the driftwood in my newest tank, the fish ate it, and they pooped white for days. It wasn't stringy or long, just white like what you described.

That said, I prophylactically treat all new fish for basic parasites. I just assume they have them because there's a good chance they do (especially if they're wild caught). It's up to you if you want to be proactive about treating intestinal parasites but I'm not convinced your fish are showing symptoms.

OP
D

DrWigglespank

Reaction score
White or clear?
Hm. I've no idea, as I've never had these fish before.

Maybe it's the food, then. What are you feeding? I have a platy that for whatever reason would get diarrhea (clear, long poop) with Omega One flakes, and is the only one that had a problem with that food. I'm not sure if it was the flake food or maybe an ingredient that didn't agree with him, but after I stopped feeding it, he's had no problems.
The poop I saw was bright white. The other fish have brown poop, same color as what I'm feeding them.

I'm feeding them Easy Fry Food from Aquarium Co-op (claims it's not just for fry, but for small mouthed fish, as well), along with some crushed, freeze dried bloodworms once a week. I bought some Omega One flakes when I got the fish, but even though I crushed it as fine as I could, the pieces were too big for them and they'd ignore it. I'll try the flakes again now that the fish are a bit bigger. They've doubled in size since I bought them, so perhaps they'll go for it now.

Based on the info and pics provided I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of parasites.

I had an incredible amount of white fungal bloom on the driftwood in my newest tank, the fish ate it, and they pooped white for days. It wasn't stringy or long, just white like what you described.

That said, I prophylactically treat all new fish for basic parasites. I just assume they have them because there's a good chance they do (especially if they're wild caught). It's up to you if you want to be proactive about treating intestinal parasites but I'm not convinced your fish are showing symptoms.
I also have three Otocinclus catfish, which I bought at the same time as the WCMM's. From what I've read, these fish are usually wild caught. They've shown no symptoms that I can tell, but perhaps it's worth treating the tank, anyway.

I do appreciate the help.

OP
D

DrWigglespank

Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking about this problem some more, and I'd forgotten about feeding the Ottos a slice of zucchini once a week. I've only been thinking about the food I've been giving the minnows. I haven't seen them take any interest in the zucchini, but it is the only white food that's been in the tank.

I'm probably over-analyzing this, as the more I read, the more I'm convinced there's a problem. Same as reading about a simple problem on WebMD. Keep reading and before long that joint pain you were researching has turned into something fatal.

This could be something completely normal. It's been many years since I had an aquarium, and the fish I kept were all rather large. Dealing with these small fish is a new experience, for sure.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 63 66.3%

Top Bottom