Treating Oscars With A Bacterial Issue Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Dave S, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Dave S

Dave SNew MemberMember

How long should you medicate Oscars in the quarantine tank ? Meds say to just treat twice in a 4 day period. How long is best to keep them in after that ?

2. Dawn Michele

Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore Dave. What is wrong with them & what medicine are you using?

3. OP
    OP
    Dave S

Dave SNew MemberMember

Hi Dawn, not sure of the name it was a over the counter broad spectrum med for bacterial issues. Thought the pair was near death but much better now. Not fully healed but on the way. Been in for about 5 days now just not sure when to release them back to the main tank.

4. Dawn Michele

What size tank do you have for them?

5. Dawn Michele

You should treat them for how ever long your told to.

6. OP
    OP
    Dave S

Dave SNew MemberMember

It’s a 125 gallon 4 fish in total 2 oscars & 2 other cichlids

7. Dawn Michele

I keep my Oscar Big Boy in a 125.

8. OP
    OP
    Dave S

Dave SNew MemberMember

This came on all of a sudden taking the both down. Thinking it’s one of the other cichlids tormenting them . It’s a jaguar cichlid who going to have to go before the oscars go back.

9. Dawn Michele

I don't see it working having the Jag in the tank. It would be best to re home him. what is the other Cichlid you have?

10. OP
    OP
    Dave S

Dave SNew MemberMember

I believe its a zebra cichlid that the jag also torment's.. How long would you keep the Oscars in the medicated tank?

11. Dawn Michele

What does the medicine say about dosing and for how long?

12. OP
    OP
    Dave S

Dave SNew MemberMember

That’s the issue it only says do second treatment after first four days. Nothing after that. Oscars are about 60 percent better just don’t know what’s best as far as keeping them in the medicated tank.

13. Dawn Michele

Hi Dave. Any time my Oscar Big Boy use to scrape his skin on things I just let him heal on his own. Keeping the water pristine is GREAT for them. IM just concerned about you returning them back to the tank with the other Cichlid's.

14. OP
    OP
    Dave S

Dave SNew MemberMember

Thanks Dawn, You’re right I am only going to put them back once I decide what to do with the other ones hopefully the store I got them in will take them back. Will keep you posted. Once the Oscars go back want to add a pleco and that will be it.

15. Dawn Michele

Keep me posted Dave!!! :)

16. OP
    OP
    Dave S

Dave SNew MemberMember

Hi Dawn, Just wanted to give you an update. The Oscars are back in the main tank less the jaguar cichlid. He is in a small holding tank for now. The remaining blue zebra cichlid was not too happy to see them but things have calmed down. Will try to rehome the jaguar. Thanks for your insight.

17. Dawn Michele

Hi Dave. Happy Easter. IM glad to hear they are back in the tank. Glad you took the Jag out. Hope everything continues to go well.