Treating New Plants Before Adding To Aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Grammywms, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Grammywms

GrammywmsValued MemberMember

I've read so much about snails hitchhiking on new plants. I've ordered some plants for the first time and want to treat them before adding to my aquarium. What is a safe and effective method?

2. Crimson_687

Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

You can quarantine plants for a month or so. You can give them a salt dip or a dip with copper in it, though I’m not sure if certain plants may be copper sensitive. If you rinse the plants very thoroughly most snails should be out, but it’s always possible some will be there, thus the dips are quite effective

3. TimothyHartwick

TimothyHartwickValued MemberMember

The salt method is effective and not harsh on your plants and kills usually all of the snails and eggs. There are step by step instructions which are easy to follow and you won't have a problem.

4. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Is it better than bleach and water?

5. TimothyHartwick

In my opinion yes, bleach and water might damage some of your more delicate plants. If you want to use the bleach method, it's 19 part water :1 part bleach.

6. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

I want to do what's most effective without damaging my plants.

7. TimothyHartwick

Then the salt bath is your solution.

8. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

9. pagoda

pagodaValued MemberMember

Gastropex added to water, soak plants according to instructions on bottle for a couple weeks before planting in aquarium should get rid of snails that have hitchhiked on new plants

I did the salt bath for two weeks and still got snail explosions

No damage to any plants

10. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

You kept the plants in the salt bath for 2 weeks?

11. TimothyHartwick

Are you sure they didn't come from the fish?

12. pagoda

Yep....tub of cold water, 4 litres of water, 4 teaspoons of salt for 2 weeks

Failed abysmally

Bought Gastropex dosed the aquarium, took 2 lots of 3 day doses 7 days apart and finally got the snails under control.....but you can use Gastropex in a pre aquarium treatment bath instead

The snail explosions came before the fish, so had to have arrived on the plants

My second aquarium coming next week will have all artificial plants cos not having hundreds of snails again....it was a complete nightmare

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2019
  13. fa4960

fa4960Well Known MemberMember

You can use Potassium Permanganate for dipping your plants. It can also be used to kill the snails in your tank. However you need read up on PP very carefully beforehand as it can do significant damage to / kill your fish if overdosed. Here is a good thread:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/using-potassium-permanganate.397208/

I just did my first time PP treatment on my tank last weekend and I don't seem to have any living snails left except those hiding in the substrate but I expect to get them all eventually as my intention is to use it before every WC in a preventive manner (diseases prevention) at a level of 2 ppm.

14. pagoda

I knew I had a photo somewhere of how the plants spent 2 weeks in a large tub (actually a plastic breadbin that worked out well for the task) 4 litre tub, filled with cold tap water with just salt in it. left the tub in the kitchen by a window so that plants got their dose of sunshine etc

58968088_2160532954033214_7428857150656479232_n.jpg

15. OhDaniGirl

OhDaniGirlValued MemberMember

You can do an alum dip for a few days. I have never tried it myself, but others have claimed success.

16. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Sure appreciate the tips.

17. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Snails are honestly part of the hobby and something most people learn to live with. They're almost inevitable.

I have treated some of my plants with a water/bleach mix. About 1 part bleach to 20 parts water. Then I rinse really well with water. I heard it helps with algae. I don't think this can kill snails though. Not much can.... Snails are tough. I've even boiled all of my substrate and deep cleaned everything when I had a really bad snail problem. They came back....

I ended up getting a puffer it cleaned me out in 2 days. Now I have to breed snails in a separate tank.

18. ehjj

ehjjNew MemberMember

Isn't this the same as dipping in tap water since it's chlorinated and kills all the bacteria and potentially all living creatures?
    I've bought some plants online and wondering how long plants could be kept in the tap water.

19. pagoda

Plants can be kept in tap water indefinitely....just as cut flowers are. As long as you make sure they get sunlight they are fine in tap water, mine gre roots and several saplings too whilst I had them in the tub of water for two weeks

20. Crimson_687

Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

IMO snails can probably survive tap water. The main reason it kills fish is due to the chlorine burning their gills, and snails are very tough little creatures