Treating Injuries In Celestial Pearl Danio

Little Blue Ram

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello all, I need some help. I came home from work and noticed one of my CPD's in bad shape. Large chunk of scales missing and I don't want it to turn into something worse.

Is there something I can do to help treat the injury?

Just as a precaution I tested my water and my parameters were higher then normal, and i'm doing a 50% water change.

Tank was cycled before fish were put into it and they've been living in it since 4/28/19
Today's readings were:
Ammonia- .25
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- .10-20
Ph- 6.6

which are off from it's normal 0,0,5 ph usually around 7-7.6

It's also the 1st time almost all summer that the weather has hit 90+ outside. And the tank temp has been around 85 degrees

Besides the water change is there anything else I should do?
67124355_473128286817607_4367196641485127680_n.jpg 67572400_355334661805872_8606272531629867008_n.jpg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello all, I need some help. I came home from work and noticed one of my CPD's in bad shape. Large chunk of scales missing and I don't want it to turn into something worse.

Is there something I can do to help treat the injury?

Just as a precaution I tested my water and my parameters were higher then normal, and i'm doing a 50% water change.

Tank was cycled before fish were put into it and they've been living in it since 4/28/19
Today's readings were:
Ammonia- .25
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- .10-20
Ph- 6.6

which are off from it's normal 0,0,5 ph usually around 7-7.6

It's also the 1st time almost all summer that the weather has hit 90+ outside. And the tank temp has been around 85 degrees

Besides the water change is there anything else I should do?
View attachment 575811 View attachment 575812
Yes, keep the tank cooler. 85 is way too hot for CPD's. 75 would be ideal, 79 would be tolerable. Keep your water clean. I'd do another 50% water change tomorrow, and if you don't have AC, get an airstone going in the tank, open a gap in the lid or hood of the tank and set a fan where it can blow into the top of the tank when you're gone. Evaporation, bubbles and surface movement will help keep the water cooler. Treatment of the wound would depend on whether it's amm infection or an injury. If you suspect an injury, you can try just adding some Melafix to the tank. It is supposed to help prevent infection and promote healing. What other fish are in the tank besides the CPD's? You don't want to use Melafix with gouramis, betta's, rope fish or other labyrinth fish.

Last edited:

Little Blue Ram

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have an air stone in it, but i'll open the lid a bit (hoping my cats don't knock it over or into the tank again...). We don't have AC in the living room, so i'll leave an extra fan on it tonight/ tomorrow. They do live with a betta and some snails but I could remove the fish and treat it separately, I have spare tank.

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's usually at 75 but with the weather, it jumped. How can I keep it cooler?
Set up a fan blowing across the surface of the water, evaporation will cool the tank by quite a bit...

I have an air stone in it, but i'll open the lid a bit (hoping my cats don't knock it over or into the tank again...). We don't have AC in the living room, so i'll leave an extra fan on it tonight/ tomorrow. They do live with a betta and some snails but I could remove the fish and treat it separately, I have spare tank.
I'd be careful housing these guys with a betta, especially with a temp increase probably increased aggression, could be why he's got some damage.

Little Blue Ram

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would have assumed it was the betta too. But this isn't the CPD's 1st offence. I really wouldn't be surprised if it was them. These one's are jerks. Just hoping everything's better tomorrow.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you suspect that it is an infection it would be better to treat it in a separate tank. That way you won't knock out your beneficial bacteria in the main tank with antibiotics or mess up the betta with the Melafix. If it's just an injury, just doing some regular water changes and getting the temp down may be enough. It's your call though. The fish looks sick to me (he's droopy aand his fins are a little clamped) but the wound doesn't really look infected in the picture. It's hard to tell though just with a picture. If it were me, I'd probably move him to a hospital tank and just try the Melafix, clean water and some cooler temps first.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom