Treating ich with a heater Help!

Justkeepswimming01
I have a 30 gallon tank that I just bought a heater and thermometer for. I had a platy come down with what I think was Ich two days ago (I'll attach a picture). I'm slowly raising the temp up in the tank but I have a rescued fancy goldfish in there right now. Will he be able to handle the temperature being high while he's treated as well or should I move him into my 10 gallon QT tank? This is my first time keeping fish and I'm currently battling my family's belief that doing water changes kills fish . Any help would be really appreciated the only Ich I've seen before wiped out half of my moms tank one year it was devastating!

Justkeepswimming01
Do you think it's something a pet sitter could do as well? I'm leaving for vacation on Friday and one of my good friends is house sitting but she's never had fish before.

Five 97
If you want to risk it.... I'd show her how to gravel vac and to make sure the temp is correct for the treatment etc...

Silister Trench
With the heat method Five offered, you set the temp on the tank and offer more oxygen, but it's kind of a "set it and forget it" treatment aside from making sure the water is great. This is the only method I've used, but it has worked every time.

Justkeepswimming01
Okay great thanks guys. I just got a heater my only problem is that it turns off really often? Is that normal?

Airth
You asked about your goldfish initially. He'll be fine for the short time that the heat treatment will be going. It's only long term warm temps that would cause any harm to a cool water fish.

As long as the heater keeps the temperature on your thermometer at a stable 86 degrees I wouldn't be concerned with the heater going off and on. It Just means that it's reached the set temp. It'll turn off at that point and then back on if it starts to drop any.

Advertisement
Justkeepswimming01
Okay thank you I'll let you know how it goes. I'll try to explain all of this to the pet sitter. And most importantly my family! Lol they keep griping at me about stuff I'm doing for my tank I'm like no I have to do this

Five 97
You asked about your goldfish initially. He'll be fine for the short time that the heat treatment will be going. It's only long term warm temps that would cause any harm to a cool water fish.

As long as the heater keeps the temperature on your thermometer at a stable 86 degrees I wouldn't be concerned with the heater going off and on. It Just means that it's reached the set temp. It'll turn off at that point and then back on if it starts to drop any.
Yea, thanks for covering that... forgot to mention so myself.

Justkeepswimming01
So that platy was removed and eventually died, however no other fish are showing any signs at all. No spots or anything. I currently have the temp at about 86. Should I continue the treatment even if no other fish ever showed any signs of Ich?

Airth
I would continue for the two weeks just as a precaution. Just because they aren't showing signs of ich doesn't mean it isn't still in the tank. =) Remember to do a daily vacuum with your water changes.

Justkeepswimming01
Okay cool.

Thank you! I'm keeping an eye out for any signs but there hasn't been any since the other fish died.

Airth
Hopefully everyone else will remain healthy as the treatment continues. =) Have my fingers crossed for you.

Justkeepswimming01
Thank you! They're all looking good but I'll leave the heat up.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
TasselledWobbegong
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies