Treating Ich In New Freshwater Tank With Api Super Ich Cure

Umrobin

image1-2.jpeg
I recently setup a new aquarium a few weeks ago and noticed today that my rainbow praecox now has white spots on him.

I’ve been watching them closely and noticed right away, and went to the store to get API ICH Super Cure. In the directions it says remove the carbon from my filter, but since it is the cartridge type the only way I could do that is if I cut a hole and take out the carbon. I read that doing that is better than having nothing in there at all. I also added some aquarium salt as well. All of my fish are doing fine he is the only one infected right now. I do have a ghostfish in there so I had to do a half dose to be safe. I also have a Roseline shark, pearl Gourami, and rainbow shark. I’m kinda bummed because after the treatment is over I have to put a new filter cartridge since I ripped out the carbon from the first one, and I read that restarts the whole cycling process. Is there anything else I should do? Any and all help would be great!!!

Cas88

I recently setup a new aquarium a few weeks ago and noticed today that my rainbow praecox now has white spots on him. I’ve been watching them closely and noticed right away, and went to the store to get API ICH Super Cure. In the directions it says remove the carbon from my filter, but since it is the cartridge type the only way I could do that is if I cut a whole and take out the carbon. I read that doing that is better than having nothing in there at all. I also added some aquarium salt as well. All of my fish are doing fine he is the only one infected right now. I do have a ghostfish in there so I had to do a half dose to be safe. I also have a Roseline shark, pearl Gourami, and rainbow shark. I’m kinda bummed because after the treatment is over I have to put a new filter cartridge since I ripped out the carbon from the first one, and I read that restarts the whole cycling process. Is there anything else I should do? Any and all help would be great!!!

Have no fear!!! Ick is simple I got it in my Tank after adding some neons it. I read hours of countless cures.. I went the non chemical easy route with nothing but success.. heat and salt.. raised temp to 88-90 degrees and added salt one tablespoon per 5 gallons mixed in a jug and poured it in the tank.. let’s the Tank stay at 88-90 for 12 days and did three gravel vacuuming sessions to suck up the ick when it comes off the fish .. I saw no ick on the fish by the 3rd day.. after all that I did a 50% water change to remove most of the salt... it’s simple.. ull read that salt is bad for scaless fish like tetras and loaches but I first hand had to problem and lost no fish.. FYI when using salt make sure it’s non iodinized salt for regular salt is very harmful... good luck madam

Umrobin

I read about raising the temp but was worried because it seemed way too warm for most of my fish to handle. I normally keep it at 78. If anything I guess I could try raising it to 82.
Thanks!! And I picked up aquarium salt from petco.

Cas88

I read about raising the temp but was worried because it seemed way too warm for most of my fish to handle. I normally keep it at 78. If anything I guess I could try raising it to 82.
Thanks!! And I picked up aquarium salt from petco.

I was worried bout that too but most tropical fish will tolerate the heat for a 2 week span just up the temp 2-5 degrees a day.. I also started at 78.. 82 is not enough to speed up the ick lifecycle so ur Ganna have to go high ull be fine tho like I said I have neons very finicky fish but they loved the warmer water.. just make sure u have a good amount of aeration because higher water temps have less oxygen so some kind of bubbler will make it no problem

Umrobin

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
I woke up this morning to a super cloudy tank. Way more cloudy than it was yesterday and there's fluffy white stuff all over my gravel. I'm thinking about doing a water change and adding the medicine again. And also maybe taking out all the ornaments and plants and boiling them until this is all over with.

Cas88

View attachment 369601
View attachment 369602
I woke up this morning to a super cloudy tank. Way more cloudy than it was yesterday and there's fluffy white stuff all over my gravel. I'm thinking about doing a water change and adding the medicine again. And also maybe taking out all the ornaments and plants and boiling them until this is all over with.

Wow yea I would do that with the ornaments this way u can vacuum all the gravel and change at least 65 percent of the water.. how much salt did u add ? And what size Tank?

Umrobin

I added 4 tsp of salt, and I have a 29 Gallon. I also used the API Proper 7.0 to balance the PH yesterday, and think it might be that since I don't have the filter in and can't filter out the cloudiness?

Fashooga

Looks like your tank is going through a cycle since you removed the carbon filter.

You will need to check your tank for ammonia. I’ve not used the API Ich Cure but does it require daily water changes? If so you will need to do this until the ich is gone. So it’s treat, 24 hours later drain and retreat and so on. This is usually the way I’ve done it with Kordon Rid Ich.

Once you resolve this issue we should discuss how your filter should be set up so you don’t run into this problem of white cloudy mess.

Umrobin

The PH right now is 8.0, which is why I added PH Proper to drop it... I've been testing for ammonia every day and it is still at 0. The highest it has ever gotten was .25 but went away after I did a water change.

The API Ich Cure instructions read not to do a water change until 48 hours from second dose, which is 4 days from the start of the treatment. It's only having me do two doses, 48 hours apart. But it says to remove the carbon until the water change, so basically for 4 days no carbon / cartridge. Since mine is in the cartridge I have to take the whole cartridge out because it isn't separate.

I also bought Ammo Lock in case it tests high since I'm not using the filter during the treatment.

So that is my current dilemma. My tank was clear and filter was running great until I started the treatment / added the PH Proper 7.0. I think once I put the cartridge back in after the treatment it should clear up.

Thank you for helping!

Side note: All my fish are eating except the rainbow praecox that has Ich. Should I be worried?

Cas88

The PH right now is 8.0, which is why I added PH Proper to drop it... I've been testing for ammonia every day and it is still at 0. The highest it has ever gotten was .25 but went away after I did a water change.

The API Ich Cure instructions read not to do a water change until 48 hours from second dose, which is 4 days from the start of the treatment. It's only having me do two doses, 48 hours apart. But it says to remove the carbon until the water change, so basically for 4 days no carbon / cartridge. Since mine is in the cartridge I have to take the whole cartridge out because it isn't separate.

I also bought Ammo Lock in case it tests high since I'm not using the filter during the treatment.

So that is my current dilemma. My tank was clear and filter was running great until I started the treatment / added the PH Proper 7.0. I think once I put the cartridge back in after the treatment it should clear up.

Thank you for helping!

Side note: All my fish are eating except the rainbow praecox that has Ich. Should I be worried?

Possibly that’s signs of sickness u should really worry when u notice they r clearly struggling swimming and breathing

Umrobin

Did the 60% water change and the tank is now even more cloudy than it was before. I can barely see inside.
Is there something I can buy to put in the filter that has no carbon? something that would fit where the cartridge normally goes??

Cas88

Did the 60% water change and the tank is now even more cloudy than it was before. I can barely see inside.
Is there something I can buy to put in the filter that has no carbon? something that would fit where the cartridge normally goes??

U can use just filter media meaning just sponge like filter pad u can even just buy some and cut it to fit... I definitly respect ur choice of treatments but just the salt and heat with no chemical would avoid this issue because you would be able to leave the carbon in which would help 100% with the cloudiness caused buy the buffer you added... keep at it ma’am and you’ll get it don’t get frustrated

clk89

What are your other parameters? (nitrite and nitrate)?

You can cut off the carbon part. I would stop using the PH proper, chemicals that change the PH often make the PH swing. With PH being stable is usually best. With ich just keep the temp up to 86 degrees for two weeks for heat method. Salt isn't actually necessary for ich treatment.

If doing medication, dose according to box/container. Do not do heat and medication together.

Either way make sure you are also vacuuming the substrate well as ich falls off and goes into substrate.

Umrobin

The PH in my tank is high though, it’s at 8.2 and I’ve been having a difficult time trying to lower it so I bought the API Proper 7.0 and it clouded my water during the ich treatment with no filter and also didn’t lower the PH at all because it is still at 8.2. I read that ich can be caused by a ph imbalance, so I wanted to fix that with the API but so far it’s not working at all.
On the bright side the white spots on my fish that has ich are gone! I still have to do another dose of the treatment and wait another two days before I vacuum according to the directions.

What are your other parameters? (nitrite and nitrate)?

You can cut off the carbon part. I would stop using the PH proper, chemicals that change the PH often make the PH swing. With PH being stable is usually best. With ich just keep the temp up to 86 degrees for two weeks for heat method. Salt isn't actually necessary for ich treatment.

If doing medication, dose according to box/container. Do not do heat and medication together.

Either way make sure you are also vacuuming the substrate well as ich falls off and goes into substrate.

Nitrite is .25 today and nitrate is 40ppm

clk89

The PH in my tank is high though, it’s at 8.2 and I’ve been having a difficult time trying to lower it so I bought the API Proper 7.0 and it clouded my water during the ich treatment with no filter and also didn’t lower the PH at all because it is still at 8.2. I read that ich can be caused by a ph imbalance, so I wanted to fix that with the API but so far it’s not working at all.
On the bright side the white spots on my fish that has ich are gone! I still have to do another dose of the treatment and wait another two days before I vacuum according to the directions.

My PH is also 8.2. I have never had ich. I don't believe ich is caused by high ph. Usually ich is caused by poor water quality, stressed fish, or brought in through a fish at the pet store. In your case it's probably the water quality since you still have nitrite, and nitrate is little higher then recommended (20 PPM).

IndigoTJo

It might be a bacteria bloom trying to make up for the missing cartridge. I would have cut the carbon out, as removing it killed the bacteria anyway. You could have used the cartridge you cut the carbon out of to seed the new cartridge you have to put it.

Personally I tossed my cartridges and replaced them with sponges. I only keep them on hand now to remove meds or metals if needed.

Umrobin

I replaced it with a foam pad that I cut out to fit the size of my cartridge. It cleared up a little bit but not as worried about it now because I read the reviews of the API Proper and it does make the water milky / cloudy. The filter is supposed to clear it up but since I have my cartridge out I just have to stick it out with cloudy water. I’ve been testing it a lot for ammonia, ph, nitrate, nitrite... since I don’t have the filter in. Unfortunately I threw that cartridge out and will have to start from scratch once the treatment is done and I get to put a new cartridge back in but now I know!

IndigoTJo

May I ask why you don't just stick with the sponge? If your cartridge stays in longer than 4 weeks, the carbon isn' working anyway.

clk89

I replaced it with a foam pad that I cut out to fit the size of my cartridge. It cleared up a little bit but not as worried about it now because I read the reviews of the API Proper and it does make the water milky / cloudy. The filter is supposed to clear it up but since I have my cartridge out I just have to stick it out with cloudy water. I’ve been testing it a lot for ammonia, ph, nitrate, nitrite... since I don’t have the filter in. Unfortunately I threw that cartridge out and will have to start from scratch once the treatment is done and I get to put a new cartridge back in but now I know!

You can just get a sponge as was already suggested by Indigo T Jo, that way you don't have to keep restarting your cycle. Since you are going to restart your cycle with fish I recommend getting the water conditioner Prime since it will detoxify ammonia and nitrite up to 1ppm. I also suggest using stability a bacteria starter which will speed up the cycle and to quit using your API proper. Your PH is fine. You will need to keep your ammonia and nitrite at 1PPM or below with water changes as your cycle goes along.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
Replies
Views
BadhbhCatha

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Fish are one of the most popular pets in America and aquarium keeping is one of the fastest growing hobbies... Nearly 12% of all households in the USA own at least 1 fish. Freshwater is still way more popular most likely due to initial setup costs.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom