Treating Ich in community tank with botia loach

Amanda86

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and a beginning aquarium hobbyist. I set up a 23 gallon second hand aquarium roughly 2 months ago. After it had cycled with 4 penguin tetras I returned to the store where I had purchased them and bought some new fish. They were 2 german rams and an angelicus botia loach. I, sadly, did not quarantine the new fish. Well, within about 3 days I noticed the telltale spots of ich on the rams and flashing behavior of the loach. I increased the tank temperature to 87 degrees, removed the carbon filter, turned up the aeration and removed some water to create the waterfall effect from the biowheel filter. Then I dosed the tank with a half dose of API Super Ich Cure. I used the half dose due my understanding that the botia loach is scaleless and thus sensitive to the medication. I have read not to combine treatments, but I did it anyway because I wanted to accelerate the life cycle of the parasite and my fish seemed to tolerate the higher temps ok. The first medication was given Saturday, 3/28. On Monday I repeated the half dose. I noticed fewer white spots on the rams, but no improvement of the botia loach. Wednesday I did a 50% water change and gravel cleaning, then gave the third dose of half strength medication. Now it's Friday. All the fish are clear and free of spots except for the botia loach, which is looking sicker. It is gasping at the top of the tank, still flashing, and has spots. I cleaned the gravel again today, did a 50% water change, and replaced the carbon filter. The heater is still set to 87 degrees.

What should I do next? Should I continue to use the meds at half dose? Should I try the full dose? Should I do no meds, but keep the temp up? It has been a week and the increased temp has not helped the botia loach.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've given up on using meds when treating ich.
This Guide has been the best treatment

OP
Amanda86

Amanda86

Reaction score
Ambie said:
I've given up on using meds when treating ich.
This Guide has been the best treatment
Thank you. I did read that article before posting. I've had the heat set 87 for 6 days and I have one fish getting sicker. What should I do about the botia loach not responding to treatment?

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Amanda86 said:
Thank you. I did read that article before posting. I've had the heat set 87 for 6 days and I have one fish getting sicker. What should I do about the botia loach not responding to treatment?
For my experience heat Treatment speeds up the ich life cycle, so during the first week it looks like it's getting worse before they fall off.
And with the heat at that temp they can't reattach to any new fish and die off without a host.

How far along was the ich before you noticed?
If a fish is really infected it's harder for them to recover especially if it starts effecting the gills.
Also loaches are scaleless fish, so the meds could be causing problem for it.

OP
Amanda86

Amanda86

Reaction score
I first noticed the botia fish flashing about 3 days after purchasing it. The white spots on him are much smaller and less obvious than the ones on the rams, but when you look closely you can still see them. He continues to be the only fish still showing symptoms after 7 days of treatment with heat and half strength meds. Yesterday I noticed him flashing still, which tells me that the infection is still afflicting his skin. I'm going to try the full dose of medication for a few days to try to knock out the infection for good. I feel like if the ich doesn't kill him then the treatment might...but I don't want the ich to persist in the tank and sicken the other fish. :(

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom