Treating Ich in a PLANTED tank...

steyer12

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All,

I see there are alot of threads on Ich. I have it (not me, but my fish).

I have a 10-gallon desktop in the office with 2 goldfish and a couple neon tetra. I know that the tank is small for goldfish but they were bought by someone in the office who was going to keep them in a small bowl so I stepped in and put in as large of a tank as I could. They spent some time in a temporary (properly filtered and all, but too small) since February and I finally found a cheap 10-gallon on clearance and set it up two weeks ago. The nitrogen cycle was carried forward from the small tank and is going fine.

I just introduced some neon tetra for color and apparently at least one of them had the ich. I have put in the heater to raise the temperature. I don't know if I'll go quite to 86 with goldies in the tank but I'll see how they react once the temp starts to get up there.

I also know that salt is a great way to medicate. I'm not sure how my plant will react to the salt, though. I have one large Jungle Val. Its not heavily planted, but I'd rather not disturb the poor guy if I don't have to. Does anyone know off the top of their head if Jungle Val is more/less hardy in terms of salinity? If not I'll just stick with the higher temps and maybe the medication.

Thanks in advance!

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The medication I would think would be worse than the salt, but I would not do either and just raise the tank temp. slowly increase it to around 86 and keep an eye on the goldfish but they should be fine. If you think they can take it try raising it even a couple of degrees higher, very slowly of course, because ich will die at 90. After the ich problem is over the neons and goldies should not be kept together, because the neons like higher temps than the goldies and the goldies might eat the neons.
Also do lots of water changes and when you see the white spots fall off really start cleaning the gravel. Add aeration to the tank to help replenish the low oxygen levels.

Last edited:

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yes, 10 gallons is small for goldfish, but certinly better than a bowl. salt is not good for plants. Neons are tropical, and like higher tempertures than golfish do, who are coldwater. I do not know if it would be ok for that high of a tempeture for goldfish, and too much below that would only stress them and not give results. Perhaps other people can give more input, but i think 90 is too high for coldwater fish

hooxeii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're dealing with ich! It's a nasty thing, but it IS beatable.

I would delay medication. Sometimes meds can be too much for fish that are already ill.

The best way to treat ich, by far, is to raise the temperature of the tank. You want it at about 85 degrees farenheit, but not too much higher.

The goal when treating ich this way is to prevent it from reproducing again. The heat speeds up the ich life cycle, but when it gets to the stage of reproducing itself, it can't. This way, the ich falls off of the fish and can't get back on. This enables the fish to recover so it can fight off the ich. Some people believe that ich is always present in the water, and that is attacks when the fish are stressed, taking advantage of the lowered immunity.

Keep in mind that when you raise the temperature of the water, it holds less oxygen. This means that your fish will need another source of oxygen. Installing a small, simple airstone will make sure they have enough.

I don't have experience with ich in goldfish, but I wouldn't think they'd tolerate the higher temperatures as well as the neons. Perhaps someone else will have some better advice.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom