Treating Hole In Head

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by LilBlub, Jun 26, 2018.

1. LilBlub

LilBlubWell Known MemberMember

Long post, sorry.
    I recently made a thread asking about little “pimples” on my ranchu’s head, and the consensus was that he had early stages of hole-in-head (here’s a picture):
    426B45B8-8A85-4407-8C01-A2B6A2AFD8E0.jpeg
    Anyway, assuming that it is hole-in-head, I ordered a medication for him and it will be arriving today. But since hole-in-head has multiple causes, I’m just really curious about if I’m doing everything right for him.
    He lives in a 55 gallon tank with 3 other fancies and 2 plecos (the plecos will be moved to a bigger tank eventually).
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: 5-10
    I do weekly 25-50% water changes. I treat the water with a single dose of Stresscoat to remove chlorine, but I doubled it when I saw the pimples to promote healing.
    I have doubled filtration to keep the water clean, both Tetra HOB filters.
    I feed Wardly pellets as a staple diet. For treats, typically about once a week, I give bloodworms, brine shrimp, or mysis shrimp. Now and then I will give them some goldfish “granules” that I got from a friend, which are basically the same as the pellets but smaller.
    I supplement their diets mostly with lettuce and cucumber. Occasionally they get treats like orange slices and watermelon.

Does all of this sound okay? Is there something I’m missing, or is the cause definitely parasites? I don’t want to treat with the medication and then find out it’s something I was doing wrong in his diet or water quality. Thanks in advance!

2. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

What kind of HOB do you have? You have the Tetra HOB but what version is this?

HITH, as previously stated in your previous thread is caused by poor water quality and/or diet. In your case I think it's poor water quality. You have a 55g tank with three gold fish and two plecos. I believe the root cause is that your kind of overstocked with fish in the 55g. The pleco, which I know you stated that you'll move, is probably the biggest cause of the problem. Plecos with goldfish is like having two diesel trucks in a tiny garage with the doors closed. It's going to foul up the garage and kill everybody inside, or cause problems. This is what you have. Plecos are notorious for pooping so much that they can foul up the water. If it were me I remove both plecos and sell them back to the LFS.

I'm not sure if orange slices and watermelons are something you want to do. If they do eat it that's great but I would actually feed them this prior to a water change. I feed my fish raw shrimp the day before a water change. If I did this after a water change I risk fouling up the water. The same goes to any organic raw foods that people place into the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

They are Whisper Tetra filters.

I do wait until the day before the water change to give them messy foods like orange. And I only give them fruit now and then, like once a month. It isn’t something I frequently do.

4. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

I realize that goldfish with plecos is a bad idea. But As I said, my ammonia and nitrates are 0, and my nitrites are always very low. There is very little poop in the aquarium, because I have two filters and do frequent large water changes. If this infection was caused by bad water quality, wouldn’t my parameters be messed up or my tank dirty? Or both?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice