Treating Guppy With Ich!?

tay_jo

Reaction score
Hi guys! I recently upgraded my betta and gup to a 5.5 gallon tank. I cycled the new tank, checked the parameters, and transferred the fish. I purchased a whiptail catfish a week or so ago and then noticed my gup and betta acting strange. The catfish seemee fine, was eating, behaving normally but hust died and now my guppy has ich! He's been lethargic and his fins looked clamped and now he's covered in white spots. How do I treat this?

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
First you should not have a male guppy and betta together as the betta will,pick on you guppy . Second slowly raise your temp to 86° over a period of 12 hours or so and do 25%- 50% water changes daily. Try to match the water temp as close as possible when doing said water changes.

tay_jo

Reaction score
I'm aware of the typical betta and guppy issue. I didn't have a choice when I rescued the betta. I was going to separate them eventually but they've been in the same tank for almost a year and I have never noticed any aggression. The gups fins don't show any signs of being bitten and I've never seen the betta go after him. I'm much less worried about that than the ich. How do I raise the temp? I only have a 5 gal minibow heater that keeps their water at about 79°.

CaptAnnDuchow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm aware of the typical betta and guppy issue. I didn't have a choice when I rescued the betta. I was going to separate them eventually but they've been in the same tank for almost a year and I have never noticed any aggression. The gups fins don't show any signs of being bitten and I've never seen the betta go after him. I'm much less worried about that than the ich. How do I raise the temp? I only have a 5 gal minibow heater that keeps their water at about 79°.
That's awesome they get along!!! And can you afford to go get am adjustable heater?

tay_jo

Reaction score
That's awesome they get along!!! And can you afford to go get am adjustable heater?
Yeah I was super lucky there. I think the betta was just in such rough shape that it didn't matter. It took months to get him back to mostly normal. I don't think his fins will ever fully recover. I can get one if I need to.

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The heat method works great but has to be combined with salt to kill the ich and frequent gravel vacs as well. You will need an adjustable heater though.

Theres a lot of ich cure meds out there that work perfectly well, though.

tay_jo

Reaction score
Oh are there? I had read about the heat method, I have to buy a gravel vacuum anyway since I upgraded to the larger tank. I just really don't want to lose them. I only noticed that spots on my gup this morning

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They should be just fine since you've caught it quickly. If you go the meds route, be warned that if you get one with meth-green as an ingredient, it will stain the tank decor and silicone, so I'd avoid it.

TrichogasterAddict

Valued Member
Reaction score
I cure ich with water changes, and water at about 86 degrees, ive done this on giant angelfish (8inchs is a large fish for me..), and small endlers and I always works for me (key word for me), try a week or so of the heat method and water changes every 2-3 days at about 25-35% before you start medicated. Oh I I wouldn't suggest replacing that whiptail catfish, they should really be in a tank of that size or with that combo.

Hope this helps

tay_jo

Reaction score
I cure ich with water changes, and water at about 86 degrees, ive done this on giant angelfish (8inchs is a large fish for me..), and small endlers and I always works for me (key word for me), try a week or so of the heat method and water changes every 2-3 days at about 25-35% before you start medicated. Oh I I wouldn't suggest replacing that whiptail catfish, they should really be in a tank of that size or with that combo.

Hope this helps
Thanks- Definitely won't be replacing the whiptail. I loved the look of him but realized after doing some research that the tank was probably too small. I'd really like a cory or a loach. I have one snail but I'd like something to help pick the food off the bottom

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks- Definitely won't be replacing the whiptail. I loved the look of him but realized after doing some research that the tank was probably too small. I'd really like a cory or a loach. I have one snail but I'd like something to help pick the food off the bottom
Both corys and loaches are shoaling fish and need groups of 6 or more.

tay_jo

Reaction score
Both corys and loaches are shoaling fish and need groups of 6 or more.
Welp lol I guess a bigger tank is the next step then. And it might not be ich after all. I swear I saw spots on him this morning and I just went to do a water change and half his tail is gone...fin rot??

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welp lol I guess a bigger tank is the next step then. And it might not be ich after all. I swear I saw spots on him this morning and I just went to do a water change and half his tail is gone...fin rot??
Oh my goodness? Get a pic, if you can. Is it the betta or guppy.. It could have been ripped or bitten, usually rot happens more gradualy not all at once like that.

tay_jo

Reaction score
Oh my goodness? Get a pic, if you can. Is it the betta or guppy.. It could have been ripped or bitten, usually rot happens more gradualy not all at once like that.
This is the guppy. The betta has been holed up inside a pirate ship I have. He hasn't actually interacted with the guppy in days. It's not clean like it would be with a bite...the fins are milky/clear at the edges like they're just fading away

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is the guppy. The betta has been holed up inside a pirate ship I have. He hasn't actually interacted with the guppy in days. It's not clean like it would be with a bite...the fins are milky/clear at the edges like they're just fading away
Typically fin rot would be reddish or brownish, not white. If it wasn't like that a little while ago and happened suddenly, i would think somethi g environmental rather than internal.

How old is the betta? I wonder if he's not starting to get a bit nervous around the gup?

tay_jo

Reaction score
I have no info on him honestly. He was given to me in a parking lot. Some girls in my apartment complex broke his bowl while they were cleaning it and were going to go dump him in the creek. He had no fins when I got him and ammonia burns over most of his body.

tay_jo

Reaction score
15479374068886796931080030808324.jpg
I have no info on him honestly. He was given to me in a parking lot. Some girls in my apartment complex broke his bowl while they were cleaning it and were going to go dump him in the creek. He had no fins when I got him and ammonia burns over most of his body.

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Poor guy, he doesnt look good. Especially laying like that, its very un guppy like of him. How long has he been with you? The first thing to do is a water test see if anything is off and go from there.

Your sweet for rescuing him. I would've done the same thing, i can never help myself.

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think your right though, it coukd be the beginning of fin rot. There are meds but i wouldnt use them without a hospital tank to put him in seperate from the betta. Usually can be cured with very clean water, meds aren't my first option..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom