Treating Fungus On Kuhli

Discussion in 'Kuhli Loach' started by Tana, Apr 25, 2017.

1. TanaValued MemberMember

I recently bought four kuhli's to go with the two I have already and tonight I noticed one could barely move due to a patch of white fuzz surrounding his back end. Went to petsmart and they were out of fungus cure and I saw a box of general cure, but it said not for scaleless fish. Braincrap on whether or not they were and the lady there was clueless. Bought it anyway, but swung by pet supplies plus and they had just the fungus cure. Manager looked online regarding any warnings cuz there wasn't any on the box, so I bought it anyway. She told me to remove from the QT tank and set up another one for just that one. Which I hurried up and did. Thank goodness I had spares of everything and hadn't put them away.

Anyway, is api fungus cure going to be relatively safe for my kuhli or am I going to lose him for the cure? I would've looked here first, but it was getting late here and I had to get something for the little fella.

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

The fungus cure should be alright for him, I've used it on them before with no problems, although it was the Tetra brand. The best thing for fungus though is Methylene blue. You use it as a bath and it will clear fungus and even bacterial problems right up.

Btw I wouldn't bother using the general cure in this case, it's aimed more towards parasites than anything.

3. TanaValued MemberMember

Thank you for replying. I've used methylene blue on my pond fish before, but this stuff has victoria green which I think is similar correct?

Also, would it be okay to feed him while in this bath? I fed the quarantine tank right before I saw the fungus, but I don't know if he was able to get any food before I removed him. I have to dose again on Thursday according to the directions.

4. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

You can feed him in his own tank, just do it when he's calmed down. If it's stressed it won't eat but rather the left over food will dirty the water.

And yes, I think the victoria green has a similar effect as Meth. blue. I think you'll be alright either way.

5. TanaValued MemberMember

Thank you for your help. I did drop a small sliver of food before I left for work this morning, but I haven't seen him move and didn't want to shine a light on him to see if he would. He's upright and not on his side or belly, so hopefully he was just resting. From what I could see it appears as though the affected area was a little less fuzzy, so I'm hoping for the best. Fingers crossed!

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

could you place a pic of the fish?

7. TanaValued MemberMember

Yes, I'll take and post one tonight when I get home.

8. TanaValued MemberMember

Sadly he passed. hadn't moved from this morning so I netted him out. Now I'm very concerned about the fish in quarantine and if this is contagious. So far they look okay, but it took two days for this to develop from when I brought them home from the lfs. I did snap a pic to see if anyone has any ideas what it actually was. Might have to zoom in, but it's the portion closest to the tail.

20170426_184206-1.jpg

9. TanaValued MemberMember

Anyone have any ideas what this could've been other than a type of fungus? Also, would a bath in the meds probably have been better instead of treating and putting him in a hospital tank?

So far the other three look okay. They aren't really as active as my two black loaches, but they are tiny compared to them. I removed the neon's that I had also gotten at the same time because I noticed they were nipping at the kuhli's and I didn't want to cause them anymore stress or possibly get wounded. They had all been in the same quarantine tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice