Treating For Possible Internal Parasite

bluedreams21

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi friends, I currently have six corydoras trilineatus, all of which I've had since September 2017. All of them look fine to me except for one which has gradually, gradually gotten thinner over the past seven months. I also sometimes see a strange squiggly black tube about 1-2mm thick in his abdomen, which I assumed at first was his intestinal tract, but now I'm worried it's a worm. Should I treat the fish with anything? I have a spare 5.5 gallon, but I'm worried he'd be stressed out without his shoal. I'm also worried that if he does have a parasite, it could infect the other corydoras if I don't treat it before it reproduces.

Video: (the potentially sick corydora is the one in the back of the video)

Tank Stats

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You wouldn't be able to see most worms in his intestinal tract - more than likely that was the intestinal tract itself.

What do his feces look like?

I'd rehome the panda cory, rather than getting more. This tank really isn't big enough for two complete schools. You could add more of the C. trilineatus though?

I might try another feeding method - crumble up 3 pellets and release the crumbles in front of the filter, so they go everywhere. The cories will be able to scavenge them, and this may allow the skinny one to get more food. It could simply be that he's not getting enough food.

bluedreams21

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TexasDomer said:
You wouldn't be able to see most worms in his intestinal tract - more than likely that was the intestinal tract itself.

What do his feces look like?

I'd rehome the panda cory, rather than getting more. This tank really isn't big enough for two complete schools. You could add more of the C. trilineatus though?

I might try another feeding method - crumble up 3 pellets and release the crumbles in front of the filter, so they go everywhere. The cories will be able to scavenge them, and this may allow the skinny one to get more food. It could simply be that he's not getting enough food.
Hmm ok. Well that's good to know the black tube isn't a worm.

The fish poop in the tank is generally very dark brown and circular, though occasionally I'll see a piece that's less than 1 cm long and too thick to be a shrimp poop.

I guess I can work on rehoming the panda. I'm generally just kind of suspicious of people potentially having poorly-maintained tanks since I'd rather her stay in my clean, peaceful tank without panda friends, than a bad tank with panda friends. Though, maybe if I put her up for $5 on Craigslist that might filter out people just looking for a free fish to add to their random collection and encourage people who want healthy fish from an established aquarium.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom