Treating For Internal Parasites, Columnaris Breaks Out... Now What? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Kaleidoscope_Eyes83, May 20, 2018.

1. Kaleidoscope_Eyes83

Kaleidoscope_Eyes83 New Member Member

2 weeks ago, I introduced a German Blue Ram to my tank. He exhibited rapid breathing and stringy white feces almost immediately and died the next day. Suspecting internal parasites, I dosed my tank with Prazi Pro.

All fish looked fine for about 5 days. Then my Harlequin Rasbora started showing signs of what I believe is Columnaris ("white" fins sticking out, go filmy white after death). 2 rasbora have died so far... and now my favorite fish, a Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami is looking like he's on his way out. He shows no outward signs of Collumnaris, but is exhibiting strange behavior.

I've added aquarium salt to my tank, cut the lights and heater off. I know that I shouldn't put another med in with the Prazi Pro. Today is day 7 for the 1st dose of Prazi Pro so I am ready to do a big water change.

Should I...

A. Do a huge water change to get most of the Prazi Pro out of my tank and dose with Fuval 2 or Kanaplex (whatever I can get for Gram - bacteria).

B. Do a huge water change, put aquarium salt back in the tank and give my fish the recommended 3 days rest from meds (after being dosed with Prazi Pro for 7 days).

C. Something else??? ... suggestions are so welcome.

2. OP
    OP
    Kaleidoscope_Eyes83

Went to my lps... they didn't have any meds with the active ingredients I've seen mentioned to treat this disease. I got API General Cure... but think I will need to return it. I don't think it will treat Columnaris with the active ingredient being Metronidazole?

My Dwarf Gourami now is exhibiting the saddle patch of Columnaris and staying at the surface of the water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The employee at the lps had no idea what Columnaris even is. I've done a lot of research online... but a lot of the info provided is conflicting/ incomplete so I'm very confused. This disease, and having an aquarium in general has been a pretty terrible experience so far...

3. OP
    OP
    Kaleidoscope_Eyes83

My Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami has died. I now have 3 Harlequin Rasbora and 2 ghost shrimp left :(

4. OP
    OP
    Kaleidoscope_Eyes83

This thread hasn't helped me (obviously, since no one responded to my question), but wanted to post what I've found for other people's benefit:

- lower aquarium temp to 75°
    - aquarium lights off
    - salt baths (4 tsp. Per gallon). I've been doing this 1x a day

I have 3 Harlequin Rasbora left. Not sure if they'll make it or not.

5. Kevin Dennis

Kevin Dennis Valued Member Member

Opinions are mixed on salt treatment.

I have read that Columnaris can be treated with Triple Sulfa, or a cocktail of metronidazole/furan 2/kanaplex.

So sorry for your fish losses. I just lost eight out of nine Harlequin Rasboras to a bacterial disease myself.

A fresh carbon insert for your filter will remove the medicines.

6. OP
    OP
    Kaleidoscope_Eyes83

I'm sorry for your loss. It's so sad to lose them!

Because the sick fish that I originally introduced exhibited signs of internal parasites, I first treated my tank with Prazi Pro which is supposed to be a 5- 7 day initial treatment.

I know that mixing meds in your tank is a no no and I have ghost shrimp that can't handle some meds, so I treated my rasboras with salt baths only for the columnaris. It worked great- since doing the salt baths I have not lost any. They no longer show any signs of Columnaris, but I'll continue the salt baths for a couple more days to make sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice