Treating For Ich

cdossantos

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to one of my neons having a white spot on his fin. I watch them often, with no spots being present last night nor on any other fish.
to me it looks like the start of ich, but say its not will I harm any fish treating for a diease that's not present

Also what would you guys recommend for treatment

cla001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Were there any obvious reasons for ich to start in the tank? (e.g. introducing new fish/something else from the fish store recently)

cdossantos

Reaction score
cla001 said:
Were there any obvious reasons for ich to start in the tank? (e.g. introducing new fish/something else from the fish store recently)
7 days ago I introduced a fish, didn't see any signs of disease no dead fish no dying ones from the LFS and he has no spots present. Yesterday i did a 20% water change and cleaned some algae growth off the front wall. fish are all acting normal even the neon, not aggressive not rubbing on things

And it is just the one spot on the top fin, nowhere else on him yet.

cla001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll let someone more experienced to chime in as I am a complete noob, but I'd wait out a little and carefully observe to see if anything else pops up.

Personally I am not 100% convinced if it is ich or not. Maybe (just maybe!) it is something of fungal nature as for me that spot looks a little too big for an ich spot. Does this spot have "sharp" edges (like a grain of salt attached), or is it more like a white fluffy spot?

If it was my tank, in such a situation I would probably prepare to start dosing something very mild like Seachem Paraguard or Tetra Lifeguard, especially not knowing what the cause of an issue is... (but this would also depend on other species in the tank, some may be more sensitive to meds than others)

cdossantos

Reaction score
cla001 said:
I'll let someone more experienced to chime in as I am a complete noob, but I'd wait out a little and carefully observe to see if anything else pops up.

Personally I am not 100% convinced if it is ich or not. Maybe (just maybe!) it is something of fungal nature as for me that spot looks a little too big for an ich spot. Does this spot have "sharp" edges (like a grain of salt attached), or is it more like a white fluffy spot?

If it was my tank, in such a situation I would probably prepare to start dosing something very mild like Seachem Paraguard or Tetra Lifeguard, especially not knowing what the cause of an issue is... (but this would also depend on other species in the tank, some may be more sensitive to meds than others)
It has sharp edges

Abby565 said:
Heat treatment, raise temp of your aquarium to 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Add airstone for oxygen at the higher temp.
I can't raise the temp on mine. It just keeps it at an average of 78ish

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m with Abby heat now because it’s just showing. Water changes too. You do understand how ick works? How big is your tank how many and what kind of fish?

Mubasher

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Trust me, buy an adjustable heater. Will help a lot in the long run. That’s literally the best way to treat it as if now, I don’t prefer chemical treatments.

gracerig

Reaction score
A 50% water change (and vacuuming the substrate) every day or every other day until it's gone will help reduce the amount of ich in the water and will help reduce the risk of everyone in your tank being entirely covered in it. The heat method is probably your best bet, but isn't the only option if you can't adjust your heater and aren't in a position to buy another. I cured some really bad ich on a female betta even though I wasn't able to keep the temperature in my tank above 80°F consistently. 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water and an extra air pump helped her fight off the parasites. When most of the spots were off her, I treated the tank with a malachite green based medication (Marineland Ick Remedy) to kill the parasites in the water. Somehow it didn't ruin my tank's cycle and it kept the ich from coming back. I would always suggest trying the other methods first before using chemicals though.

cdossantos

Reaction score
gracerig said:
I cured some really bad ich on a female betta even though I wasn't able to keep the temperature in my tank above 80°F consistently, but 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water and an extra air pump helped her heal completely. When most of the spots were off her, I treated the tank with a malachite green based medication (Marineland Ick Remedy) to kill the parasites in the water. Somehow it didn't ruin my tank's cycle and it kept the ich from coming back. I would always suggest trying the other methods first before using chemicals though.
Chemicals are the last thing I want to use.
I'm still not 100% convinced it is ich. There's only one spot and none of the fish in the tank are scratching or acting different, including the fish in question

Abby565 said:
Hmmm. Well heat treatment works really well, maybe you can buy another heater that is adjustable?
How long should you keep the water at a higher temp

gracerig

Reaction score
cdossantos said:
Chemicals are the last thing I want to use.
I'm still not 100% convinced it is ich. There's only one spot and none of the fish in the tank are scratching or acting different, including the fish in question
I definitely wouldn't recommend it either. Mine was an extreme case with a very weak rescued fish.

Mubasher

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
cdossantos said:
How long should you keep the water at a higher temp
Keep the temp at 84-86 and raise it slowly. Ich should be gone within a week or even days but continue to keep the temp at that for a few more days to be sure. Ich cannot reproduce at temps as high as that. Ich was gone for me in 3 days after using salt and keeping temp at 84F. Good luck.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Another option is a uv steralizer. Ick starts as free swimming parisites that attach to the fish and become the white egg we see. The egg fall off goes to the bottom hatches and becomes many more free swimmers. So if you kill the swimmers and vacuume up the eggs daily you should kill ick off within a week. Free swimmers are killed by heat and salt. Uv also kill them and vacuuming them gets rid of the eggs. Good luck

cdossantos

Reaction score
Went out today bought an adjustable heater and some aquarium salt.
Here's to hoping this works!
2 years ago when I tried having a tank, ich took over and it and killed all my friends. Praying this will not be round two

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had a mild case of ich with some inflamed gills and I dosed marineland general cure for 5 days and it was all good after that and all the fish did well (2 bolivan rams and 3 rummynoses)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom