Treating for Ich when using Amquel for ammonia...

1. c

christine828 Valued Member Member

I had some issues with my tank a few weeks ago and found out I had really high ammonia levels. I have been doing 50% water changes daily for over 2 weeks and using Amquel+ but now I've noticed white spots that I'm believing to be ich. Amquel+ says it removes malachite green, which is what is in my ich treatment, so how can I treat both at the same time. I also have a pleco and tetras, which it says are sensitive to malachite green, is there any other way to treat it?

Thanks.

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

just turn up your temps to 84-85 for 2 weeks for your ich....do 2 gravel vacs a week to clean up the ich spores..add extra air stones as warmer water contains less oxygen....do NOT use any meds and just keep up with the daily water changes with your amquel+ ....make sure the new water going in, is the same temps as the 84-85 .......give it the full 2 weeks even if the fish look better :) good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    c

christine828 Valued Member Member

Dumb question time... I have the heater that came with the tank, it was already preset, is there a way to turn it up?

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

not sure as I dont know what type of heater it is ...does it have an adjustable setting ? ..and no question is dumb :) but most complete kits dont have a reliable heater so you may have to buy a new one to get the temps up higher...not sure though ...