Treating For Ich In A Plant And Snail Tank

1. sumtnfishy

sumtnfishy New Member Member

Hello. So I have had enough reading. There are som great posts and threads on Ich treatment but Im still confused. Some say having lights on makes it worse, others dont. Some say use salt, some dont. Then having the extra componets of snails and plants...oh boy!!
    What I am doing now is only this
    Temp 82 deg
    Took poly filter out
    Treat 2x day with Kordon Ich Attack (it says you DONT have to do a water change everyday) so im not sure on that one
    Ive cut back the lights but my plants are suffering.
    What else can I do???

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I would crank up the heater to 86 degrees Fahrenheit for about 2 weeks and Aerate. I would also vacuum the substrate if possible when you perform a weekly water change.

NOTE: Turning the light off is used for Velvet outbreaks.

3. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

It is not necessary to cut back the lights when treating with formalin based products. Continue using what your using and turn lights back on.

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Every time I see an ich thread, i seem to say the same thing. A product like you are using is way less stressful, and way more effective than heat at 86f. Stay the course, use the proven and effective med, and kill the parasite.

5. dcutl002

I think the meds are more stressful to the fish.

EDIT: ICH is a Catch 22 situation and the question arises "do I use chemicals or heat?". Choose your poison. One thing is certain, if the ICH is not eradicated the fish will eventually die.
    ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment

6. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I thought if you were using medicine you weren't supposed to increase the heat since doing both is stressful for the fish?

7. dcutl002

Most medications recommend raising the temperature to 82 degrees Fahrenheit while medicating.

8. OP
    OP
    sumtnfishy

sumtnfishy New Member Member

Hi thanks everyone. I know Ich is always always talked about but I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing so far. Ive got it cranked to 84 degrees now. Good news the ich is clearing from the body of the fish!! I know we are not clear yet obviously. I can vacumm my substrate because I have plants but I can still do every other day partial water.

Sorry I CANT vacuum my substrate

And why dont I have a picture on my icon? Lol:)

9. dcutl002

84 degrees? Which method are you going for? heat or medication?