treating for finrot?

cutetravis

Reaction score
ok so ive started treating (today) my 30 litre tank for finrot with the blue medicine i got from the petshop, im wanting to know, when should i be siphoning my tank, how much, and how often, im due to do the regular maintenance siphon tommorrow that i do every week, so any advice would be good
thanks
a girl with a blue tank

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You should always treat a tank for the duration of time indicated on the medication's label. After the cycle of treatment is finished, then you should perform a large water change. It's best to change 100% of water after the treatment, but changing 100% of water at once can be a shock to fish. So it would be better to change 50% of water the first day, and another 50% of water the second day. Or, 30% of water for the 3 consecutive days. (Or even 40% the first 2 days, and then 20% the third day). It's up to you.

So, do you know how long you're supposed to be treating your fish?

cutetravis

Reaction score
hahahah good point, the lady at the vets said to treat them till the signs disappear, then for a week after that?
have no idea what she was talking about, kos i dont know how to see if the "signs" have disappeared?
:S :'( my poor little babys....

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, it's generally good to treat a fish for a while after the disease seems to be gone. This is in order to make sure that the disease is completely eradicated. So the lady was right. However, remember that every living organism has only a certain level of tolerance to medications (and therefore chemicals), and if you treat this fish God knows how long, it may die of exhaustion. If I were you, I'd ASK this lady EXACTLY how long should one cycle of treatment with the medication she gave you last. Ask her. I'd help you if I knew the name of the medication, but I don't. So ask her about the name and about the duration of the treatment. If she doesn't know the answer to any of these, I presume the safest way for you to treat would be to treat for 5 days, and perform 50% water changes on the 6th and 7th day. Then treat for 5 days again, and perform 50% water changes on 6th and 7th day again. If the disease won't be gone by then, maybe begin the cycle for the 3rd time.

Did the lady tell you how much of the medication to add and when? You have to be very careful about the dosage. Too much can kill your fish. Also, remember not to have charcoal (or activated carbon) in your filter during the treatment, as it will remove the medication from the water. Once you're done with treatment, get a new activated carbon for your filter. It will help ensure that all the traces of the medication are gone from your water, even after water changes (as some of it may be left on gravel, walls, decor, and filter itself).

cutetravis

Reaction score
ok the medicine is called wunder tonic (a general cure for finrot, tailrot, white spot and other fungal skin diseases)
dosage is 1 ml per 20 litres of water and these are the ingredients:1.5% methylene blue, .1% malachite green, .05% acriflavine, .04% quinine, in aqueous solution.
if that helps?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've never heard about this medication, but I'll ask other moderators what they think of it and what is the best way to treat with it.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First, can you tell us what fish you are treating? The ingredients in that medication are not usually used on some types of fish and if the fish in your tank are in this group then you may need to remove the medication now whether the treatment is done or not. Also, I am not sure that you CAN treat until the symptoms are gone with fin rot or you would have your fish on medication for a month or more waiting for fin regeneration. Most of the medication that I have seen that contain Malachite green or Methylene blue are not given for a long period of time. They usually are left for 4 days and then a partial water change is performed and then if the treatment needs to be repeated it can be. (one time) I would use the safe treatment and do frequent large water changes and tank cleanings. The best treatment for fin rot is clean water and a clean and warm tank. Also can you tell us what the water tests for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are for your tank?, and how long the tank has been running?

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you Rose for your insight. I hope it helps you Cutetravis.

cutetravis

Reaction score
in the tank ive got a betta, 7 cherry barbs, a bristlenose and 2 bronze catfish. my tank has been running for about 5 months? ummm last time i checked all the water it was fine, but i ran out of tests so i cant do another one till next week when my new kit comes. and also, should i do my regular maintenance clean today? i dont wanna miss it out, kos my tank will get dirty... also, should i treat the fish every day or every second day?
thanks
mel

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom