treating finrot

maybet

Reaction score
I am not sure, but I think my betta may be developing finrot. His fins aren't rotting away, they are just becoming stringy instead of stuck together. ???, Is this finrot? or is this normal?

If it is finrot, do I need to remove him from the tank to treat it? Or can I add medication to my tank with all my fish? Will it hurt my other fish if they aren't sick? I would think that if one has it there is a chance the others may get it?

I plan on doing some research, but I always come to the forums first because everyone here is so helpful.

Thanks
MB

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes that sounds like finrot or is there a chance he could be catching and tearing his fins on something in the tank (decorations or something - driftwood?) ? If it is finrot and you need to medicate and raise the temperature to at least 80 - 82 degrees you can do it with the other fish in the tank with no problem as long as you use the medications I mentioned above. Anything else, you will have to ask someone else. If you have otos or catfish or plecos you may want to cut the dose in half for the tank or move the betta to treat him.

Rose

maybet

Reaction score
After the bout with Ick, I keep my tank at 82-84 degrees. I think the finrot started back then, but I was so concerned with the Ick that I didn't realize it. His fins haven't changed in the last few weeks but I don't want it to get worse. I can't believe how attached I have become to my fish. They are so relaxing to watch.

BTW: on the advise of everyone I added 3 otos to my tank, and they are so cute. And do a great clean up job.

:'( however, I lost a neon last week. He was the smallest of the bunch and the biggest one was picking on him. The guy at the LFS said if I bring in the big guy they will trade him in, but I can't catch him.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good, Maybet! Another member of the oto explosion. I am always so happy to hear that anyone has saved the Bettas or Otos. They are two of the most abused little fish I know of. Any time they can get a new home and someone to love them it makes me very happy.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, Otos are awesome, and Bettas too. Many people are beginning to realize how badly Bettas are treated, but I don't think as many are aware about the Otos. I am planning to get some female Bettas--I actually saw female crowntails at my lfs! I've never seen those before, only males...I have to have one of them! I'm going to 'rescue' a few more Otos too. That is, once I get another tank going! ;D

Maybet, sorry about your Neon. :'( A few tips on fish catching: put the net in the tank and leave it there overnight to let the fish get used to it. Then pick it up and use something else to chase the fish towards it, rather than chasing the fish with the net. Trap the fish against the side of the tank or the top of the water, just make sure he doesn't jump.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads