Treating Fin Rot Help

1. Zypher023

Zypher023 Valued Member Member

My EE betta has developed fin rot. Its a long story, but my 4 year old husky died unexpectedly during dental surgery for unknown reasons at the end of February. I was extremely distraught, depression hit, and I really slacked off on water changes since then. I know it has caused issues and hit me when my ghost shrimp and some cherry shrimp died in other tanks.

As far as this betta, he’s in a 5 gal with a heater and internal pump driven filter. He also has a zebra nerite. The rot has mostly affected his caudal fin but he’s keeping all of them pretty clamped. I didn’t notice at first as he usually has that fin hanging down when I’m feeding him. Then I realized he was swimming elsewhere and I didn’t see it.

I feel terrible enough as is, and I know I messed up, so I just am looking for advice on how best to help him heal as I get back on my water changing schedule.

I did an ~80% water change on Sunday morning with a gravel vac. Been treating the water with Prime daily since my tap has ammonia.

He was fed garlic soaked pellets on Sunday also (which I hadn’t done for a while).

At this point, should I keep doing water changes? Or is it far enough progressed I should treat him?

I have a 1 gallon Tupperware for a hospital tank or dips. I have Kanaplex, salt, BettaFix, and methylene blue on hand (and PraziPro, but not relevant).

Now
    118de6b271a9f4a7f29ee4c4724ee1ed.jpg

Then
    9a2695c967621f055e9e4b9d2ead58ec.jpg

2. Kevin Dennis

Kevin Dennis Valued Member Member

Keep his water clean with frequent changes and his fins should come back nicely.

3. OP
    OP
    Zypher023

Any other thoughts? It seems to be progressing and I’m not sure when that should stop.

I’ve been reading up and thinking about dosing Kanaplex since it’s BB and invert safe.

4. Kevin Dennis

Kevin Dennis Valued Member Member

I cannot offer advice on meds.

My Betta was purchased with half his fins gone, far worse than yours. With some time and 60-70% water changes every other day his fins recovered completely.

5. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Looks fine to me. Stay away from meds. If you need to, use a seperate goldfish bowl with something like methyelne blue or acriflavine.

Acriflavine - Wikipedia

6. OP
    OP
    Zypher023

He’s not improving, but maybe I’m just being impatient. Had to turn the pump down as he seemed to be having a little trouble swimming. He’s still hungry and relatively active. Nerite snail is happy as a clam and growing. Maybe I’m not changing enough of the water? I’m getting 8 qts which is 2 gallons. It looks like 50% despite it being a “5 gallon” tank (I know that’s usually to the brim and doesn’t include gravel displacing water etc.).

April 8th
    a1947d312e589f038aa3829f9677fa9a.jpg

April 18th
    db6da333863f64fa9576e6709ae8e73c.jpg

7. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilyn Well Known Member Member

This is an emergency and you need to act fast before he gets a full blown infection which could kill him.

Start with a bath, here is the recipe...do these every day until you get the meds I recommend..

Bath recipe
    •1 gallon of tank water
    •2x the recommended dose of your preferred brand of methylene blue (ideally Kordon)
    •1 tsp of Aquarium salt
    •an extra airstone (optional but still important)
    •a wonder shell fragment or a small dose of Seachem replenish (optional but still important)

Put all of this in a bucket, fully dissolve the salt, hook up the airstone and set a timer for 20 minutes minimum to 30 minutes maximum. Then transfer him back to his tank which gets a gallon of fresh water. Do this everyday until you can get a hold of the meds I’m going to talk about...

Meds
    His rot is pretty severe, I recommend putting him in a cycled hospital tank with triple sulfa or adding triple sulfa to his daily baths. If you can’t get triple sulfa a more effective med for fin rot caused by psuedemonas is trimethoprim which is found in Maracyn plus by Mardel.

For the hospital method...
    Treat the recommended dose for the entire treatment with water changes and or chemical filtration in between (ie polyfilter, carbon media, bio chem zorb, or purigen) each dose.

For the bath method....
    Dose the recommended amount for one gallon of water and add it to your bath every day with stress guard in the water after the bath.

If he doesn’t respond to treatment...

Swabs
    A methylene blue and Maracyn plus swab can be effective but only with stress guard in the aquarium (stress guard is invert safe)

A peroxide swab on the affected area, but only use 3% peroxide and DO NOT get it in the gills, if you do place him in a bath of prime at 3x the regular dose.

There are plants more swabs and baths using potassium permanganate but not only is this caustic but also risky, and can be daunting for a less experienced aquarium keeper..

Other products...
    Wonder shells added to any aquarium or bath is a plus for reasons I could go on and on about, medicated Wonder Shells from added to any hospital treatment is good even though medicated wonder shells don’t have meds that directly fight fin rot.

Indian almond leaves help for many reasons including the fact that they are anti fungal, and have a relaxing effect on bettas. For best results I recommend a product like Addison’s betta spa

Last resorts..

If he is not responding to any of this and you are doing everything right in his main tank then you may want to consider dosing a furan 2 and kanamycin mix in a hospital aquarium or added to his regular baths. Since dising furan 2 and kanamycin can get tedious I recommend spectrogram which is perfectly mixed with the right ratio so you won’t accidentally overdose.

Prevention

Gravel vac well removing all mulm
    Keep a good redox
    Add proper minerals and electrolytes
    Consider getting a UV sterilizer going forward
    Add more airation
    Keep your tank healthy overall

Tips

Always add stressguard to you main tank after antibiotic baths or between doses on a hospital tank in order to help regenerate fins and seal off open wounds

Keep treating until his fins have fully restored tapering off antibiotics as infection heals.

Don’t ever add antibiotics to your main tank.

8. OP
    OP
    Zypher023

Thank you so much. I ordered everything you mentioned. Some will be here today, the rest Saturday. I don’t have Stressguard so I ordered that. I’ll do a bath today shortly.

I assume you meant Seachem Sulfaplex by triple sulfa?

9. Milliemae124

Milliemae124 Valued Member Member

Kanaplex is very good at treating fungal and bacterial infections. Keep up the water changes by doing about 15% every day, his water needs to be in pristine condition. :)

10. Skye_marilyn

Seachem sulfaplex is a good product but only treats one type of sulfa antibiotic while triple sulfa made by API and sold at petco is cheaper and would’ve worked fine but try the sulfaplex anyway bc they have the same main active ingredient. You’re very welcome and I’m here if you have any questions along the way :)

11. OP
    OP
    Zypher023

Ohh okay I see it. Amazon doesn’t have a small quantity on Prime. I can try to stop by Petco if I need it. Thank you!

12. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Sulfaplex is Bacterum SMZ-TMP sulfamathazone trimopriem Its an oldschool antibiotic and it works just fine, especially for tail rot Ive been told it works better than tri sulfa

Kanamycin works good for internal gram negative infections such as swim bladder or bacterial whirlilng disease It dosent have much broad spectrum activity but should kill tail rot like pseudomonas and columnaris or vibro is the primary bacteria

13. Skye_marilyn

Yes very true but triple Sulfas are better for different things while Maracyn plus with those active ingredients is ideal for this type of bacterial infection as far as tail rot goes. Kanamycin also works but I’d try to save strong combos like kanamycin and furan 2 for more serious infections as over using it on less serious infections causes kidney damage and immunity to that med. It’s best used as a last resort.

14. OP
    OP
    Zypher023

The bath looks REALLY dark with 2x the Kordon Methylene Blue. Is that ok? I’m at that step. About to bathe him if so. Like I can’t even see through it. I have a 1 gallon Tupperware I use for baths so it’s 1 gallon. They say 5 teaspoons for 3 gallons, so that’s about 1.6 tsp/gal so I did 3 tsp.

15. Skye_marilyn

My methylene blue says 20 drops, it should be a bright teal but still clear. By 2x the dose I mean the recommended dose for in the tank not the recommended bath dose.

16. OP
    OP
    Zypher023

Ah okay. I’ll start over then! He was in it for about 20-30 seconds as I read a wide range was safe so hopefully I didn’t do any harm

My bottle says for a normal dose 10 drops per gallon, so I’ll do 20.

17. Skye_marilyn

It’s okay as long as everything else was dosed right he is fine. Methylene blue has to be overdosed ten fold for several days to do damage but better safe than sorry.

18. OP
    OP
    Zypher023

Yes the only other thing in there was a teaspoon of aquarium salt. The Sulfaplex will be here Saturday, but I may try to get the triple at Petco today or tomorrow.

I added back a gallon of fresh water to the tank, and then took another gallon out to remake it

19. OP
    OP
    Zypher023

He’s in the bath now

1 gallon tank water
    Air stone
    20 drops Kordon methylene blue
    1 tsp aquarium salt dissolved

Arriving today is:
    Stressguard
    Prime (was running low)
    Indian almond leaves
    A 1 gallon I can setup as isolation or hospital permanently so it’s cycled
    And a sponge filter for that tank

Arriving Saturday is:
    Sulfaplex
    Furan 2
    Wondershell

Should I go buy anything sooner if I can find it?

20. Skye_marilyn

I think your set for now but I’ll let you know if he needs anything else. Once you receive your other items let me know and I’ll give you instructions on how to use them together.