Treating Fin Rot With Hydrogen Peroxide?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Daniel Kraus, Apr 15, 2018.

1. D

Daniel Kraus Valued Member Member

so my fish have been showing signs of fin rot for a few weeks now. I at first though water changes would be enough but sadly they aren’t. I do not have the money for medicine however I did hear you can treat with hydrogen peroxide. I have a few questions such as how much? Is it safe for tetras? Do I need to remove my media? Will it crash my cycle? How long should I do it for? And how often? Any help is appreciated.

2. Merryn O'Shea

Merryn O'Shea Valued Member Member

I’ve heard a little about using hydrogen peroxide too, however I have not use it personally and don’t think I ever will. It’s typically used as a disinfectant for wounds and some fishkeepers use it to create a medical bath for their fish. I’m unsure of the dosage but if you look into it more then maybe you can find out the dosage and how long to keep the fish in there for.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I haven't used it, but it would definitely have to be diluted.
    Personally would not do a treatment inside of the tank, rather in a sizeable container.

4. Rylan

Rylan Well Known Member Member

I think @david1978 might have experience with this...

5. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Yep i treat all my new bettas with it just as a precaution. Do a 50% water change, dose 1ml of 3% peroxide per gallon of tank. You can remove your filter media for 8 hours just to be safe but it never hurt my cycle. Dose every other day for a total of 3 trearments. If doing it in a separate container i would leave him in for 8-12 hours after that its broken down into water and oxygen. Kills algea too lol.

6. Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

Does it help with pop eye or any other infections or fungus??

Would it help this? ?

??

Sorry didn't mean to do it twice.. .Lol

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  7. david1978

It might i never dealt with popeye though. It kills off any simple cell organism so external bacteria and algea are effected and not plants or fish. So the fungus it would definitely help with, popeye im not sure but it would be safe to try.

8. Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

So it's safe to use with most fish or ?? Not even sure what's wrong my algea eater. . Someone suggested pop eye or injury...

9. david1978

Yes its fish safe.

10. Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

Awesome ...Ty!!

11. OP
    OP
    D

Daniel Kraus Valued Member Member

That’s exactly what I needed thank you. I hope it’ll work

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice