Treating Fin Rot With Aquarium Salt

jwde2009

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

Stereotypical Betta owner who learned about the nitrogen cycle after getting the Betta. Prince is going in his new 5 gallon when I get home (an upgrade from his 1 gallon). I want to treat his fin rot without messing up the cycling process. I'm just now getting nitrite readings! I'll put the filter media from the one gallon in the five gallon to keep the cycle going. I've read that when using dalt I should do a 100% water change daily and keep the filter off.

So here's my dilemma/question. Do I turn the filter off and ruin the cycle? Or keep it on and get salt in my filter media? Or wait until the cycle is complete to treat?

Thanks!!

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Why are you wanting to use salt? Just asking if there's a specific reason behind it, as just clean water and stable parameters should heal fins in a few weeks and I always think it's best to go with that basic method of treatment if possible

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Never stop the filter. Bettas are very sensitive to aquarium salt, so treating bettas with it is not always recommended. I suggest that you use medication like methylene blue bath instead, if the finrot is really bad. Mild finrot will be treated with clean water...

Methylene blue baths will take place i a separate container for 15 minutes, so your cycle will not be affected at all.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As others have stated, you dont need to use salt. Fin rot is caused by poor water quality and good, clean, water will help clear it up in no time. Dont ever stop running your filter unless you absolutely have to (power outage, moving, etc.) and even then keep the media wet with tank water. But in this case, just keep it running, do a water change and dont add salt. Problem solved.

jwde2009

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can post a picture tonight. I had read on multiple websites that salt was best for fin rot. I expect the water quality to be significantly better in the 5 gallon tank so what I'm hearing is that I should just use fresh water in the 5 gallon and wait it out? It's not advanced I just don't want it to get worse! Thanks all!!

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep the water clean (as in parameters, not looks) and you wont have issues with fin rot. DO NOT use salt on your betta. Salt in general used to be thought of as a "cure all" but its just not true. The only time Id suggest using salt would be to treat ich (depending on the fish) and even then its not necessary.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom