Treated myself to a blue ram the day

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by cmck83, Jul 23, 2015.

1. cmck83

cmck83Valued MemberMember

Bit of an impulse buy the day, couldn't resist buying one. Anyone have any good experiences with this fish??

2. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

I hope your tank is completely cycled and stable as these fish are very sensitive to water chemistry. They do not tolerate ammonia/nitrite well and if you want bright colors and active behavior, it should be low nitrates (under 20), and ideally pH should be between 6.0 and 7.5, but they are adaptable to higher pH, mine are in 8.0/8.2 water and doing fine. Other than that they are great fish that add a splash of color. They enjoy planted tanks, so if yours is planted thats a plus. He/She will get to know you and when you are by the tank will beg for food every time lol.

What size tank is yours and what other fish are in it? If its the 16 gallon on your profile, I would say that is about the minimum they should be in, 20 is much better, and bigger than that is always better. I hope he enjoys his/her new home with you. Make sure to get some sinking food so that some will get to his/her level of the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    cmck83

My water parameters are always perfect, tanks been cycled and stable for a few months now.

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10-20
    Ph 7
    Weekly 50% water changes done.

Java fern and plenty of hiding spots in my tank, it's only a 16 gallon the now but will be upgrading in a month or two too a 60gallon Thanks also for the heads up on the sinking food, any tips on what kind?

I acclimatised him for over an hour

Lights off

And adding 10ml to his bag every 10 minutes.

God I hope he's happy in his new home... Till the new tank comes

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

I have a wide variety of foods that I rotate randomly. Just make sure some is getting to the fish. Maybe you will be fine with flakes. If you notice that its not getting any, then you may want something like shrimp pellets or bottom feeder tablets. Oh and if you want to give them a treat, frozen blood worms and brine shrimp will be loved by all your fish lol.

5. OP
    OP
    cmck83

I serve up blood worm once or twice a week already do fingers crossed the ram enjoys them haha.

This is my start down the cichlid path haha

6. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

My blue ram has done well and gets along with everyone though I'd say she is the boss of the tank :0
    She has gotten very large, 2.5 or 3inches. I like her a lot. Good luck!

7. OP
    OP
    cmck83

Well that's me fed him for the first time, he's a greedy wee bugger haha.

Sorry my photography skills aren't that great haha

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  8. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

I turn my filter off when I feed the fish and all of them including my 3 blue Rams now come to the surface to feed. The first week or so they only got what the messy gouramis dropped but now as soon as I turn the filter off they come to the top with everyone else

9. OP
    OP
    cmck83

That's a pretty good idea, although this one didn't seem to have any problems bully it's tank mates out of food haha

10. OP
    OP
    cmck83

I can honestly see this turning in too a cichlid addiction, really want a jack Dempsey at some point

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice