Treat other Fish?

Scody181

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just lost a platy to what I believed to be internal parasites. She was very lethargic, white stringy poo and quit eating. Should I treat the other fish for parasites or wait for symptoms to arise?

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore Scody181!

Sorry for your loss.

If you are 100% positive your have parasites, then you'll need to treat the entire tank. Parasites can be very prolific and kill everything in the tank. As you are not sure, I'd wait to see if any other inhabitants show the slightest change in behavior.

By the way, what are your water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? This information can help us in offering suggestions.

Scody181

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My tank has not cycled yet. PH is about 7.2 to 7.6, all others are at zero. I've noticed the stringy poop in my other platy and the swordtail has started hiding except at feedings.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Your problem is not that you have parasites, it is due to the fact that your tank is cycling with fish. You need to take extra care to stay on top of things. The cycling process is very hard on fish and often causes death. Do at 50% water change daily with your water conditioner for the health of your fish.

I'm a bit confused, maybe someone else will chime in. It doesn't make since that you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate, with fish in the tank. How long has it been running? When did you add the fish? Did you use something like TSS to help the cycle along? Your profile states that you are using the API test kit. You really need to abuse the #2 nitrate solution to get valid test results. Many on this forum go so far as to beat it on the counter for at least a minute. Also, check the lot numbers on your bottles. The last 4 digits are the month and year the solution was manufactured. And, the API test solutions last up to 3 years.

Scody181

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The tank has been running for over a month. I just bought another test kit they were manufactured this year. I added fish fish shortly after the tank was setup. I used seeded gravel. I recently added filter media from my other tank to this filter and added stress zyme still nothing. I have no problem testing my other tank.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Since you used seeded gravel and added fish the same time you initially set up the tank, it is possible that your tank has cycled. I just looked at your profile info, and it states that you have 2 Corydoras Cats, 1 Swordtail, 2 Platy and 1 Guppy in a 55 gallon tank. This number of fish would not produce much waste for a tank this size, and if you're doing daily water changes, this might explain why you have no nitrates. Do you have plants? That could also explain why you're not measuring nitrates.

Regardless of whether or not your tank is now cycled, initially your fish were exposed to high waste while the cycling process began. This type of environment is very hard on fish and it is common to experience losses.

If this were my tank, I'd go to weekly water changes and watch the fish closely and continue to test the water parameters daily. If you measure any ammonia or nitrite, or the pH bounces around, then your tank is still cycling. If everything is stable, and no water change in a week, then you should be able to measure some nitrates.

FYI - Cory cats need to be in a tank that has been cycled for at least 3-6 months. As they went through your cycle, I wouldn't be surprised if you have more losses.

Good luck with your tank!

Scody181

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you for your help. I have been doing daily water tests since I started and have not got a reading at all. I am currently doing weekly sometimes bi-weekly changes and I have not plants. But I hope that I don't lose anymore fish.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You're welcome. Since you have a low bioload and used the seeded gravel, I'm thinking that you transferred enough bacteria to process the low load. When you decide it's time to add more fish, do so very slowly, and very cautiously, to avoid throwing your new tank into another cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads