Treat or euthanize

CTYankee79

I have a red eye tetra in a 10 gallon tank that started wasting away about a month ago. His belly has been sunken severely. It appeared to be a parasite, he had stringy white poop. We did a Fritz Paracleanse treatment a couple weeks ago but nothing has improved. I honestly can’t believe he’s still alive, he looks terrible but continues to eat. As of yesterday he has taken a turn for the worse, he now can barely swim, and when he does he’s sideways and vertical.

I’m curious if I should attempt another paracleanse treatment (does it typically take more than 1?). Or if I should euthanize. If I do euthanize where do I get clove oil and how do I use it? A couple of the other fish in the tank appear to have slightly sunken bellies so wondering if it’s prudent to treat again.

Parameters in this tank are all normal, it’s been established since April. Water changes 50% weekly. The tank has stocking issues right now awaiting setting up another tank. 3 red eyes 3 zebra danio 6 Serpae tetras.

You must be registered to see images
You must be registered to see images

jkkgron2

I would treat again but if he doesn’t improve you might want to euthanize him

Upvote 0

Roman96

I would try and mix the Paracleanse with food if he's still eating. That will be way more effective than dosing in the water. Also, you will have to do meds now (preferably in food) and then wait a week and re treat. This is so you kill the parasites that just hatched so they don't lay eggs.

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

Thank you all for the responses, that is helpful

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

We ended up using the clove oil to euthanize, thanks again for the help

Upvote 0

Sputnik

We ended up using the clove oil to euthanize, thanks again for the help
I am sorry, but you did a kind thing by not letting him suffer.

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

Thanks, I appreciate that

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Broggy
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies