Trauma of water change

Status
Not open for further replies.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh what fun I have just had doing an emergency water change on my Endler tank. I have no idea what's gone wrong in there overnight but my readings are as follows:- PH 6.6, ammonia a very scary 6.0, Nitrite 1.0, nitrate 40.0 !!!!!!! I did my routing weekly change in there last night and all was fine, in fact my water was clearer than it's ever been, I'm testing daily as there are baby's in the tank. As I was freaked out by the readings I got tonight I also tested my tap water out of curiosity :- PH 6.6, Ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0 oh and I use the API master testing kit. Oh I add stress coat and stress zyme on all water changes.
My next nightmare was a baby getting sucked up when I was vac'ing the gravel I had to rescue the poor little baby from the bucket, it does seem fine now though by oh boy trying to spot him in the bucket and catch him in a bowl was fun!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Stress zyme keeps your tank from completing the nitrogen cycle and can crash a tank. I think this is what may be happening with your tank.

It contains non-aquatic bacteria that drown, which is why you have to keep adding the product. However, that bacteria is competing with the natural aquatic bacteria your tank is trying to develop for its food source, ammonia. It processes the ammonia, leaving little or none for the beneficial bacteria, hindering the cycling of the tank.

Last edited:

bmxer193

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Meenu has given you an answer to your first problem so ill try to answer the second

When there's fish small enough to be sucked up by the vacuum I would suggest using a small bucket/dish/cup to scoop water out for water changes so you dont risk sucking up a baby, just until their strong enough to swim away from the vacuum.

Last edited:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Meenu has given you an answer to your first problem so ill try to answer the second

When there's fish small enough to be sucked up by the vacuum I would suggest using a small bucket/dish/cup to scoop water out for water changes so you dont risk sucking up a baby, just until their strong enough to swim away from the vacuum.
:shock: There was a second issue... SO didn't even see it. I swear, my brain is broken today.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Stress zyme keeps your tank from completing the nitrogen cycle and can crash a tank. I think this is what may be happening with your tank.

It contains non-aquatic bacteria that drown, which is why you have to keep adding the product. However, that bacteria is competing with the natural aquatic bacteria your tank is trying to develop for its food source, ammonia. It processes the ammonia, leaving little or none for the beneficial bacteria, hindering the cycling of the tank.
Thank you!!!!! I shall go remove the Stress zyme from the fish cleaning out stuff right now and throw it out! What should I use any ideas? I was using it on all my 6 tanks and only this one seems to have a problem.

Last edited:

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

I am just using a piece of airline literally dripping water out to try avoid sucking the baby's up ( oh how I love a mouthful of tank water lol) as I only have very fine substrate in the tank and you literally can see all the junk collecting up on the bottom of the tank, the suction on the airline is not enough to pull up the substrate so I was shocked when I caught a baby.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I like Prime water conditioner. To get the SZ out of your tank, you'll need to do several water changes over the next few days. Unfortunately, you won't have much, if any, beneficial bacteria built up. That means that your tank needs to cycle. You can either read the Q&A with Tetra link and add some TSS (it HAS to be TSS - nothing else currently on the market works, although I read that companies are trying to come up with better cycling sources) and see if that works, or you can do daily water changes with Prime until your parameters are 0,0, 5-20.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I like Prime water conditioner. To get the SZ out of your tank, you'll need to do several water changes over the next few days. Unfortunately, you won't have much, if any, beneficial bacteria built up. That means that your tank needs to cycle. You can either read the Q&A with Tetra link and add some TSS (it HAS to be TSS - nothing else currently on the market works, although I read that companies are trying to come up with better cycling sources) and see if that works, or you can do daily water changes with Prime until your parameters are 0,0, 5-20.
I actually have some TSS already as I am using it to cycle a tank for a betta, so I will go ahead and use that, I need to do several water changes first to get rid of the SZ?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Everyone recommends always using the entire bottle of TSS any time you use it, as you don't know which part of the bottle has the live bacteria in it.

Read the link. Everything needs to be out of the tank, no Prime when you use TSS, and the ammonia has to be down as much as possible, which means that you'll be doing fairly large water changes for a few days before adding. And the SZ needs to be out for a week before, I think.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am just using a piece of airline literally dripping water out to try avoid sucking the baby's up ( oh how I love a mouthful of tank water lol) as I only have very fine substrate in the tank and you literally can see all the junk collecting up on the bottom of the tank, the suction on the airline is not enough to pull up the substrate so I was shocked when I caught a baby.
wait, a mouthful of tank water? literally? ummm, i recommend the cup method....in my smaller tanks i do it that way sometimes. just scoop it. not suck it. ewwwww.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't necessarily point the finger at stresszyme over this. stresszyme has been known to delay tank cycling but not cause insane spikes. I've read that there are many more strains of nitrifying bacteria besides the ones that were patented by biospira. However, i'm not a microbiologist, so I have no idea apart from just personal experience and conjecture.

Back to the subject, I'd be looking for the cause of the ammonia spike, dead animal, plant matter breaking down, overfeeding, or something that contributed to killing off the beneficial bacteria maybe?

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Everyone recommends always using the entire bottle of TSS any time you use it, as you don't know which part of the bottle has the live bacteria in it.

Read the link. Everything needs to be out of the tank, no Prime when you use TSS, and the ammonia has to be down as much as possible, which means that you'll be doing fairly large water changes for a few days before adding. And the SZ needs to be out for a week before, I think.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

Hmmmm I never thought of that, BUT at the time I could only find big bottles of it so Had to go with that and possibly the big bottle in a small tank may have been overkill

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well i used a whole bottle, i think for up to 20g, for my 2.5g. so that may not be the problem.....too much good bacteria in a small tank

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont think you can overdose on beneficial bacteria, if it's live then it will just run out of a food source and die, so it should adjust to the bioload.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I shall send my hubby to where I now know I can get smaller bottles of it so I dont have to buy a 250ml bottle again. 250ml for a 3.4 gal tank seemed a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom