Trapping baby plecos - my method

1. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Trapping baby pleco's so they can go to the lfs. These were born in my QT tank on 2/17/16.

I have about 45 + left and the first 15 or so that I caught to give to friends was a nightmare ( with a net )

I don't know why I didn't think of this before! I load a small water bottle with algae wafers, etc and wait.
    After getting some in the bottle, I put them in a breeder net I have set up in the main tank for holding purposes.

I have been able to get about at least 10 every time with this method so it may take me a few days. Got to make sure no baby RCS get in there.

baby plecos 6-5-16.jpg

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

"Build a better mouse trap and they will come!" Smart thinking and a lot less stress on you and the fish. Alison:;hi1

3. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I have no idea why I didn't think of this before!!!! These little guys were a nightmare to try and catch, thats for sure! Hoping to save someone else the headache! When they were half the size, I used a turkey baster and that worked but VERY tedious for sure! LOL - they are such pigs that even if they swim out, the food stays inside the bottle so I think my tank will stay cleaner!

4. JFreshwater Member Member

I've heard of this method being used to get rid of pest snails as well. Nice thinking!

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I used to use it frequently to get pest snails ;) - I haven't had any pest snails now for over 2 years! :)

snail trap.jpg

6. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Does it work for the little MTS snails as well and if so what did you bait it with?. Alison

7. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes! I usually used algae wafers ( they seem to like that more than lettuce, zucchini, etc ) or shrimp pellets ( the shrimp pellets usually crumble and float out too easily ) whereas the algae wafers kept their form and didn't float out.

8. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I might have to try that. Thanks to my plecos I just happen to have algea wafers. Alison:;hi2

9. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

This morning, while the trap had about 10 or so occupants, I decided to feed the shrimp ( shrimp pellets ) on the opposite side of the tank - well I guess the pleco's have a very keen sense of smell and they abandoned the trap ( with uneaten algae wafers still inside ) and decided that the shrimp pellets are more tasty. :rolleyes:

So it looks like I may just load it up with shrimp pellets for the next round......

10. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Well at least you had them for a little while. :pAlison

11. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Well after they ate up all my my baby shrimp's pellets, they went back in the bottle to get the wafers :mad:

Well now I know what to load the bottle with............ LOL

Funny thing is, I usually drop the shrimp pellets on the moss because the pleco's usually don't go in the moss - apparently they have found creative ways though to get what they want.

12. echi1 Well Known Member Member

They are cuties! Congrats on the babies and nice work on the trap!

13. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

The plecos are getting confused ( well some of them ) with the clear bottle.
    I am finding that some are on the OUTSIDE of the bottle, scrubbing away and "trying" to eat the zucchini thats floating on the INSIDE! lol - they are all on the side with the zucchini so I know they see it!

14. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Oh my god this is adorable

15. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you - Love your nano tank in your profile :)

16. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

All my baby plecos ( with the exception of 3 that I am saving for a friend ) have been successfully delivered to the lfs yesterday. Now my QT tank looks empty but with about 50 + baby RCS.

I hope they can keep this tank cycled......................

I just bought a 10 gallon in the hopes of using it as a new QT tank since this one is pretty much going to be for shrimp now! LOL

17. Pastelguppygirl Member Member

Awe they're cute!

18. g25racer Member Member

Great tip! Will be doing it in a few weeks once my babies get a little bigger. I will likely transfer them to a separate tank to try and keep breeding down. But yes I am breeding BN on purpose for resale/donation. They are just too cute