Transporting Tanks?

1. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Ok, well I am a college student in WV, but I live in Indiana and I'm trying to figure out what to do for summer break. I have a 29gal and 10gal tank I don't yet know if I have room to take them with me (if I don't I have someone here I can leave them with, but I feel like their care will be lacking). If I do have room, would it be wise to travel 9ish hours with the fish and if so, how? I've read a couple moving threads, but most of them have just been for a very short journey, so I'm wondering if anything special needs to be done for a rather long trek? Pretty much any moving advice would be great!

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

9 hours is no problem. Either bag the fish or transport them in a plastic container.
    Your substrate need to be kept wet, either by keeping it in yet another plastic container or stryo box.
    Make sure the tanks themselves are well padded against anything bumping against them.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I would recommend placing the fish in a cooler and adding a battery powered air supply line. The cooler will help to maintain the water temperature.
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/silent-air-b11-aquarium-air-pump-battery-operated
    I use the ones above around the clock on all of my tanks in case of emergencies, should the power go out.

A cheaper version below:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/marina-battery-operated-air-pump

As Dino has mentioned, keep your substrate wet if possible and be sure to keep your Filter Media wet at all times. This will preserve the beneficial bacteria needed to sustain the tanks cycle. A good idea may be to add the filter media to the cooler along with the fish.

Add a dose of Nova Aqua + to reduce stress and add body slime to the fish and also dose with Amquel + to prevent increased ammonia levels. Prime will do the job here too. :)

Ken

4. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

So you're saying just put the fish in the cooler without any bags?

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

How long are you going to be on break? If were only talking a week, I would think you would be ok actually.

6. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

It's summer break so like 3 months

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

ah ok, that makes more sense then.

Yeah the cooler is a great Idea, I have seen some with bagging fish and others just put the water in the cooler. Personally I would bag the fish and the filter media and put them in the cooler. If you are worried about them moving around just pack a bunch of newspaper in there, it will also act as insulation for them. 9 hrs will be ok for them, if you were talking a day or more I might worry a bit but not too much. Its when it gets into multiple days that issues arise usually.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I think the fish would have more oxygen if they were placed directly into the cooler and not bagged. Too, I think it would be less stressful being in the open cooler, with the lid on and air supply w/batteries.

I have transported Goldfish in a cooler, not bagged, added the battery powered air stone and driven 7 hours. The fish all survived.

Ken