Transporting Mulitple Tanks Cross Country

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
I live in Florida, but my boyfriend, son, and I are seriously considering moving to California in a few years. How will we ever manage to relocate our fish safely? Anyone have any experience with this? Check my signature, these babies will be big!

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you plan it out you should have no problems.
When I move large fish, I use picnic coolers. They are hard plastic and won't get punctured by the fish's fins.
You will also need to pick up decholoranater to handle the water changes along the way.
Battery driven air pumps would also come in handy.
Your substrate should be kept wet during the course of the move as well.

I hope this gives you enough info to start planning.

Dino

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
thanks, its a good start. how many days can the fish survive in picnic coolers? i'm guessing it may take at least 3 days to get from here to there.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably a good while. I have gone to Chattanooga which is a 9 hour drive from my house and got fish to bring home the day before leaving to come home. When I got home, I was exhausted, and the fish weren't acclimated until the next morning. So they were in that fish bag for 2 days! I made sure the temp stayed constant by putting the bags in a cooler, and they were fine! With the partial water changes you will be doing, they should be okay. The airstone will help a lot also. The air pumps are around $7.00 or $8.00 and invaluable. They have them at PetSmart. Most fish or pet stores will have them.

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
thanks. at least now i know its possible. i would have to lose my babies after all the time, money and care i've put into them.

starshine

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread. I will be moving in a couple of years from FL to MI, so I will be faced with the same situation. It's nice to start learning a few things well ahead of time!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom