Transporting Fish - returning severum to store

Fish Addict
I recently bought a green severum for my tank. I found out that they can get really big, so I am going to try to return it to the store tomorrow. How should I transport it? My dad was thinking just putting it in a big ziplock sort of bag. Would this be all right? I do not really have enough time to go and buy some of the LFS Fish Bags...

Allie
Do you have a bucket that hasn't ever seen chemicals? A kitty litter bucket can be used if it is cleaned out properly. Hot water and a bit of dish soap works for us. Rinse really well.

Fish Addict
Yeah, I have two 5- gallon buckets for my fish tank... would one of those be better?
It has seen chemicals though, from when I use 'em for water changes...

sirdarksol
Never use dish soap (or any other soap) in a container that will be used for tank water. Bleach (no scents), ammonia (ditto), or cleaners made specifically for aquariums are the only things that should touch such a container.

For this, however, I would just go with a ziplock.

COBettaCouple
If you have a cooler, you could put the bag inside and wrap it with a towel to keep it from moving around a lot. The dark would help lower the stress for the severum.

zeddy
I used xl ziplock bags for a few large fish

Fish Addict
Yeah, Mine is only about 2 1/2 inches... So what I am thinking now is to put it in a ziplock bag of aquarium water, then putting that in a dark colored bag/box... It is only about a 15 minute drive, so I don't really think I'll need to worry about temp...

I noticed though that my LFS doesn't put them in something dark...

Butters
Well, as a christmas present my grandparents promised me a trip to milwaukee and to some of the large pet stores and fish stores. I will probably but lots of live plants and possibly some fish. The drive usually takes around an hour or so. How would you transport fish and plants easily? Its also pretty cold here right about now so would I have to worry about the water chaning temps to quickly? thanks!

CHoffman
MY LFS is 2 hours away..I just keep the fish and plants in the bag they came in and put them in the seat next to me and turn the heater up nice and warm..All of my fish have done just fine this way.

Lucy
I agree, they should be fine. I've also put the bag in a soft sided cooler.

Butters
Alright, I wasn't sure if I should bring a cooler or something to put them in. I guess I can just ride with them on my lap then. Thanks for the help!

kratzer07
I got to school in NC that's where my tank is now in my room. I am leaving next week to move back home to ohio because I'm done with school then. I've been throwing some ideas around in my head about how to transport my fish, I have a 10 gallon tank with 9 fish (ive already had people tell me about the overstocking, I'm going to get a bigger tank as soon as I get home). I have thought that I could put them all in their own bag then put those bags in the tank and drive, but its an 8 hour trip and I don't know how long that bag of water would last them for oxygen. or to take half the water and all the decor out of the tank and drive like that, and hope they make it. which is best, or if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks

AlyeskaGirl
Hmmmm.....8 hr drive.....I think I would just bag them each seperatley, add some Stress Coat Plus in each bag and poor water in. Put them in a cooler and hope for the best. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

12 volt tire pump that plugs into your cig liter. Use a cooler to transport them in except us it as a fish tank instead of bagging them if possible and use the tire pump to give aeration at certain times. lol my boyfriend just threw that at me. I had to share.

shadowavenger
use a 12v power inverter and carry your pump and bubble stone with you. keep them in a bucket in the floor boards or put them in jars and switch out the bubble stone every once in a while. once you get home just keep them in the bucket with a corner filter till you get your master tank moved and set up again. that way you wouldn't have to worry with over stocking your ten gallon.

basebawla456
Hey man when I got my 65 gal from a friend I made a 2 hour drive with 3 balas and a blood porrot. Try getting some 5 gal buckets from lowes and maybe put an air pump in them. I think you can make the decision on how many buckets u need. Good luck!!!:tophat:

sirdarksol
COBettaCouple moved from Florida to Colorado. Somewhere around here, they have a chronicle of the move and the methods taken to facilitate the move. They drove the fish most of the way across the country and I think they only lost one.

GouramiGirl1221
When I move my fish (only a 2 hr drive from school to home for me) for breaks, I just put them in separate bags and put them in a cooler. All have made the trip well...the cooler being dark really seems to help keep their stress level down, plus it insulates and buffers the temperature. You might want to consider fasting them for a day or two so they won't be releasing as much ammonia into the un-cycled bag water as well.

Dozey
Two five gallon pails and a battery operated air pump (they’re cheap). Fish and tank water in one pail with an air stone running on battery air pump. Décor and filter media in with aquarium water in second pail.

Make sure your car is warm and wrapping the pails in blankets will help maintain the water temperature.

Make the tank tear down the last thing you do when leaving and setting up the tank when you get home should be the first priority.

CWO4GUNNER
With a 10 gallon I would just take a little water out place the whole tank in a cooler covered with plastic, towels and bungee to the chair or floor with a pump and sponge filter.

shadowavenger
could just put them in the cooler with a filter

Dozey
With a 10 gallon I would just take a little water out place the whole tank in a cooler covered with plastic, towels and bungee to the chair or floor with a pump and sponge filter.

This method would cause stress on the seams. Personally I wouldn’t recommend moving an aquarium (even a 10 gallon) with water in it.

Toxic
Becarfule sitting the containers on a vehicle floor. The temp can rise due to radiant heat from the exhaust warming the floor of the vehicle slightly.

image_image
How long can one fish survive in those bags that the LFS gives you to take your fish home?

bassbonediva
I'd say not more than a couple of hours, if that. They'll use up the oxygen that's been pumped into the bag and that little bit of water they put in there will get really dirty, really fast. The best bet is to get those giant ice cream tubs (you know, the big 1 gallon tubs), punch holes in the top, fill the water enough that it won't slosh out, then run an airline into the tub from a battery-operated air pump. If you have more than a few fish, you can do the same thing with a five gallon bucket (make sure you use a new, clean one...you can buy them at Home Depot or Lowes for like $5).

jwokmuba2
I used a ice chest, had 7 fish in there for 24 hours, with an air stone

Jaysee
I've had fish delivered 2nd day that were in regular plastic bags. I don't think oxygen tabs were used.

jetajockey
yeah it really depends on the size of the fish, if any bag buddies or similar were used, and if they filled the bag with o2. I've had fish and even shrimp sent priority mail (3-4 days) and still be alive and kicking, although looking miserable lol.

Every time I've had anything shipped in kordons breather bags (even double bagged) the fish were always much livelier.

I worry more about them getting shaken up in transport, and the ambient temperature that they are exposed to.

Amano
I have gone nearly 7hrs from LFS to home, including inter island fairy.

Also had fish shipped over night by plane with only a heat pack in the box and they made 24hrs fine. In the middle of winter average temp 5'c- -3'c.

IME fish are not to bad to ship if the bags are set up right. Proper care in adding fish to the bags and the numbers. Also o2.

Other than that they seem to make it great.

mac

Slug
Hours. Many.

From an LFS, less amount of time then if they were shipped properly across the country. The LFS does not use oxygen in their bags, and they do not starve their fish before bagging them. That's a big difference in hours. If you starve the fish they can survive a lot longer in the bags.

Aquarist
Good morning,

I also recommend placing the new fish in a cooler with a battery powered air supply line if you have to drive more than an hour. The cooler will also help to maintain the warm water temperature, close the lid so it's dark for the fish and they don't jump out. With it being dark, it will help to reduce the stress. Add some Nova Aqua + or whatever you use to reduce stress into the cooler.

Most places will be glad to help you and don't mind if you put the fish in a cooler instead of a plastic bag.

Here is a link to a battery powered air supply:

Ken

Linni93
HI
Not really sure where to put this thread, but I have a question:
What is the best way to transport fish when giving them away or selling them?
Previously I have simply put the fish in a plastic bag containing tank water and closing it with a rubber band, like they do at pet stores.
But I was wondering if there was an easier or better way to do it?
I'm in the process of selling some panda cories and some platies, you see...

sharkattack
clear sandwich bags are good or you could use a plastic container

jwokmuba2
ive always had problems with the fish getting pinched in the corners of the bags, leading to doa. I wonder what a better option is also.

Treefork
If you are transporting them by hand rather than shipping them, the plastic bags like at the stores are just fine, same way you bring them home right?

g.low
If I buy fish from the LPS, I put the rubber banded bags upside down so there are no corners for the fish to get caught in--the rubber bands are put on tight enough to keep it from leaking. If you use a sandwich bag, no matter which way you put it you have the dreaded corners--a plastic container sounds like a good idea. I have also found a cloth wine bottle bag useful to keep the plastic bag from falling over while I am transporting fish home.

bowcrazy
I sometimes use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I have an air stone in it and a small air pump that plugs into an inverter. I only use this when I am transporting lots of fish to the LFS. I just fill it with some tank water and then catch the fish and put them into it.

Linni93
Thanks for all the answers I might just stick to using a plastic bag. hopefully no fish get pinched or squashed

beb
I get a plastic bag and then put it into a large tupperware container or clean trash can, depending on fish size.

The fish has decent room, the bag spreads/widens out when placed in a circle and in case you spring a leak, you're covered.

Alasse
The bags my LFS uses are made so that fish cannot get caught in the corners. I would think all LFS should have access to this type of bag. I keep all bags from my LFS and reuse when needed. (or I go in and buy some new ones from them)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Top Bottom