transporting fish and large aquarium help

1. Boopy Mitch

Boopy Mitch Valued Member Member

Hi.
    i have just brought a 6x2x2 aquarium which comes with fish and live plants.
    Just want some tips and advice on how to transport the fish to their new location and also the water.
    thanks for any help :)

2. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Big bucket with heater and tank water for fish & plants. Empty aquarium. Bring to home, fill with new water and filter. Acclimate fish to YOUR water, and add them to the tank :).

3. Mifuluhu

Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member

I've moved larger tanks many times. Go to Home Depot and buy the big orange buckets. I keep a bunch around for moving and cleaning. Put fish in one bucket and try to keep about half the water in other buckets. Make sure their buckets lid has holes in the top for air. If room temp is warm depending on where you live the water temp should be okay for a couple of hours.

Don't rinse or clean filters or substrate to keep the bacteria in place.

If it's a glass tank with silicone seams be careful not to twist it in any way as this could damage a seam. I always sleep light the first night a tank is newly reset fearing the glass will break in the middle of the night...lol.

Fill the tank with the old water and add new the usual way making sure temp and conditioners are done correctly. Put fish in last.

I've never had problems transporting fish. They will be good !

Good luck and congrats on the tank...,,sounds like a nice setup!!

4. OP
    OP
    Boopy Mitch

Boopy Mitch Valued Member Member

Thanks Mifuluhu for advice. Hope all goes well. :) will post picture once setup :)