Transporting Bettas

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by SilverStar, Apr 16, 2018.

1. S

SilverStar Valued Member Member

Hey everyone! First, apologies if this is in the wrong area. Second, I have a question I hope you all could answer. I found some bettas up for adoption on craigslist, however, they are a four hour drive away. Now, I'm willing to make the drive to pick them up, but I'm not sure what the best way to transport them is. Would they be fine being in a plastic fish bag from the pet store for that long? What should I do about keeping the water heated? Are there any precautions I should take when transporting them? Would I have to do anything different when acclimating them since they're used to a different water source?

Sorry for all the questions! :D

2. BettasnMore

BettasnMore Valued Member Member

I don't know about the bags for that amount of time but they'll be fine without a heater for 4 hours and definitely drip acclimate or sit the bags in the water and gradually mix water. If you can you could always use cups from the pet store and keep them in a cupholder if that's available to you.

3. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

If it were me I'd probably just put them in a divided plastic tote for transport because it'd be easier to secure in my car. They ship them halfway across the world in little bags, though, so 4 hours should be fine so long as they don't have huge temperature swings. Unless it's a breather bag, leave plenty of air in the bag so they can breathe. If your car is cold, you can get little hand warmers to keep the water warm, just make sure to wrap them in a towel so they don't press directly on the bag or container. They can burn the fish if you're not careful.

4. BettasnMore

BettasnMore Valued Member Member

Great idea!

5. OP
    OP
    S

SilverStar Valued Member Member

Thank you both for the advice!

6. Sarah M

Sarah M New Member Member

When I bring my betta home from school (or vice versa) it's about a 4 hour long drive and he has done just fine! It is usually more stressful for me than for the fish-- every bump or turn I tense and sometimes pull over to check! Lol

Anyways, I have a couple different containers that I use to put the fish in, depending on the circumstances. It's a lot easier when there's just one betta, so this may not work for you if you're getting a lot of fish. The dollar store near me sells plastic travel coffee mugs, which offers a little bit of insulation. Also at the dollar store are crappy fabric lunch bags that have that reflective tin foily material, which I have used before for added insulation. In my experience, they slow the cooling down considerably, especially if you're traveling in colder temps.

Once I have my betta in the container and lunch bag, I then put him in his empty tank or some sort of crate or box. Then I pack things in the tank, so that the container stays put and can't slosh around too much. Again, 1 fish is a lot easier to manage than 2 or 5 or whatever. But the dollar store mugs are an affordable option and you could still pack them into a crate like this. :)

I also always keep the tank/crate up front, or as close to the front of the car as possible. I wouldn't recommend keeping them in the trunk or back back of the vehicle, just because the bumps and turns are going to be exaggerated back there. I usually place the tank on the passenger floor and move the seat so it securely holds the tank in place. This is also nice because if I think it's getting too cold/hot I can turn on the feet heater/AC. :D

Also, if your containers are clear, I recommend covering them with a towel or jacket just to keep them in the dark so they aren't as active and can't risk injuring themselves as much. I also don't put rocks or decorations in the container because they could slosh around and injure my betta.

And that's about it! :) I try to fast my betta the day before just to cut down on the amount of waste during the trip. But, it's only 4 hours and it's probably not super necessary. Good luck and congrats on the new bettas! :D

7. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I have a Styrofoam worm box that I use to place newly bought fish in to keep them warm/cool depending on the temperature outside. Add some newspaper to keep the bags from getting tumbled around and you're good to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice