Transporting Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Reybetta, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Reybetta

ReybettaValued MemberMember

Hi,
    In a few days I am going to be moving and want to know the best way to transport my betta so he has as little stress as possible. I will be driving for approximately 4-5 hours. I have the little cup he came in when I bought him.

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

How big is your betta's tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Reybetta

my fish tank is 5 gallons

4. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Most of the time I see people use bags or buckets or critter keepers. The issues you worry about most are jumping and splashes. As well as air.

And on this... I am not an expert. Have used all three... But love to hear better ideas.

5. KimberlyG

Mine is a 3.5 so I just transport him in his own tank. I take out almost two gallons of water and tape the top down. My car also has an outlet in the back seat right where I brace in his tank so he gets an airstone stuck in a sponge. (My fish sitter laughs at me, she's only an hour away)

6. OP
    OP
    Reybetta

will the larger amount of water splash around too much? I have to drive for a pretty long time and through some mountains

7. Neptune334

Neptune334Valued MemberMember

I would recommend bagging your fish and leaving about half of the bag empty to hold oxygen for the betta. Look up how to ship fish and get some ideas from that.

8. OP
    OP
    Reybetta

Ok thanks

9. KimberlyG

The more water, the more it sloshes. In a couple months a have to transport 3 of them but they are going in a divided 10 bare bottom for 2 weeks. and the filters from all three tanks are going with to keep the cycles going. I'm only covering the bottom of the tank with four inches of water, but I'm not driving through mountains. I wouldn't trust it driving those grades. so I guess a plastic bag stuck inside the biggest cup your cup holder will fit. Good luck and have a safe move.

10. OP
    OP
    Reybetta

Thanks I think I will try to get some foam and do the bag idea

11. Bikebookbread

BikebookbreadValued MemberMember

You've already received a lot of good advice. I successfully moved from OKC to San Antonio with our betta in his (then) 2 gallon tank, but only half filled. I wedged it securely, and just made sure he was neither too hot, nor too cold.

12. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

I have transported larger (amounts of or just larger fish) in half filled five gallon buckets, but my betta I either bag up or cup them which fits in a little nook in my car by my e brake. I have a large Tupperware I put fish bags in when transporting them to sell places (keeps the bags from rolling and can fit in my passenger seat floorboard). My sister successfully transported five adult angelfish in the five gallon bucket method (from Florida to virginia, about 8.5 hrs) under my instruction.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice