Transportation of betta fish

Carolinebee

Hi,

We are having some new windows installed in the room my bettas are in. I would like to transport them to another room temporarily and was thinking of putting them in a cup with holes. Is this the best way of doing it and how do I keep the water around 80 F? It will take around 4 hours to complete.

fishydaddy

Is there a reason the fish need to be removed but the tanks can stay?
Are you worried about noise/vibration?
It will be tricky keeping small cups up to temperature for four hours without some sort of heater. You could float them in a larger container of water with a heater, or get a small heat pad, but that could cook them pretty quick without a thermostat/sensor in the water.

Carolinebee

Hi fishydaddy,

I'm worried about the noise and vibration, but also worried about transporting them
Hi fishydaddy,

I'm worried about the noise and vibration, but also worried about transporting them
Not sure what to make of the heater packs, i've heard they can make the water too hot for bettas

fishydaddy

I see. They will probably be ok for a few hours with some noise and vibration to be honest, but I understand your worry.
You can definitely do heat packs. I would do a test on the cup of water without the fish to see how much the heat packs heat the cup beforehand. That way, you can figure out how much insulation would be needed between the cup and heat pack to keep it around 80.

Carolinebee

Thanks Fishydaddy, I will do a test beforehand to check it is fine on the day. So keeping them in a cup is fine? Or would you transport them into another room in the same tank?

BigManAquatics

Myself, i would leave them in the tank, as moving them somewhere else without the tanks will most likely cause way more stress than the work being done in the room.

StarGirl

I would just put towels over the tanks for dust myself. They will be ok.

Carolinebee

Thanks,I will do this

PuddleBee

Hi,

We are having some new windows installed in the room my bettas are in. I would like to transport them to another room temporarily and was thinking of putting them in a cup with holes. Is this the best way of doing it and how do I keep the water around 80 F? It will take around 4 hours to complete.
If you're able to move the entire tank, that's definitely what I would recommend. Moving them to a cup will stress them out; mine hates it and won't eat while he's in there, which is a big deal for him since he is incredibly food motivated.

Bettas are pretty hardy fish- they'll be fine for a half a day in a new location with some noise and movement. As far as temperature goes, if you're transporting them in the tank you shouldn't have much of a problem with it. If your tank is big enough, that amount of water won't cool down too fast and should be fine for those 4 hours. If you have a heater, try moving them to a spot where you can plug the heater back in right away.

If you do transport them in cups, obviously use water from the tanks they are in and do some messing around with the heater packs, as someone else suggested.

I'm sure they will be just fine!

Carolinebee

Hi PuddleBee,

I'm really concerned about the noise and disruption. Perhaps I can do a 30% water change so the tanks can be carried, move the tanks to the next room, leave the water at that level for 4 hours (ready for transportation back), then when the work is done move the tanks back into the room and top up with water?
I would just put towels over the tanks for dust myself. They will be ok.
Hi StarGirl,

What do you think of my idea above?
Myself, i would leave them in the tank, as moving them somewhere else without the tanks will most likely cause way more stress than the work being done in the room.
Hi BigManAquatics,

Please read my idea and see what you think?

PuddleBee

Hi PuddleBee,

I'm really concerned about the noise and disruption. Perhaps I can do a 30% water change so the tanks can be carried, move the tanks to the next room, leave the water at that level for 4 hours (ready for transportation back), then when the work is done move the tanks back into the room and top up with water?

Hi StarGirl,

What do you think of my idea above?

Hi BigManAquatics,

Please read my idea and see what you think?
Sounds like a pretty decent idea; as long as your tank is tall enough that 70% of the water will keep them satisfied for a while (which is the case with most tanks) you should be ok! Whatever you can do to keep them in the tanks while you're moving them will ease a lot of stress both for you and your bettas.

The amount of attention and care you're putting into this is a great sign on your part; your bettas sound like they are well taken care of. Best of luck <3

Carolinebee

Thanks PebbleBee. All the best

StarGirl

It sounds like it will work if it is really bothering you. Just remember to make sure the heaters are below water level. :)

Carolinebee

It sounds like it will work if it is really bothering you. Just remember to make sure the heaters are below water level. :)
Thanks StarGirl

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • The_fishy
  • Snails
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
NeonTetraMX
Replies