Transportation Of Amano Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Amano Shrimp' started by Caffee, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Caffee

CaffeeValued MemberMember

Haha i know not too long ago the other day i was bursting with questions when it came to amanos, but i just have one more thing i would like to know. Transportation. I plan to get my new amanos from either petco (i know shame on me, but ive heard some strange positives about their amanos) or a trust worthy small fish/pet shop that i like to go to. Both of which are a simple 25-30ish minute drive there and back. I know one big killer is simply the stress of moving these guys in bags in a bumpy car, but since its a short ride; is the risk still high? Also, i read that putting them in dark cooler helps with stress a lot. Is there anything else i could do to ensure they ALL survive the short trip?

2. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

You're overthinking it. Amanos are very hardy, and a 30 minute car drive should be nothing to worry about. I have the same Amano shrimp from a couple years ago, and have even been netted, bagged, and transported for 3-4 hours in a car not very long ago, when I moved. I did nothing special. I simply stacked a bunch of fish bags on top of one another in a container and placed it on the car floor.

Unlike fish, if shrimp are alive and active in the pet store, then they generally are healthy and likely to be alright. I'd say they are even easier to keep than fish once established.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Whenever i get anything from the stores i use i put the bags in my center console and they do fine. I usually use petco/petsmart but their only 5-7 minutes away but recently i got 12 Vonrio tetras from a not so LFS thats about 40 minutes away and everyone did fine. Your will do good in the cooler and you may even be able to soften the ride with a towel in the cooler so the bag doesnt bounce around unexpectly

4. OP
    OP
    Caffee

Well thats a relief. Im pretty sure ive overthought EVERYTHING in the time ive been doing all my research. Im a total newbie to anything fish/fresh water invertebre so everything seems way more complicated then it probably is haha. Thanks for the reassurance :)

I was thinking the same thing with towels, maybe if i had them in some for of container/cooler i could pack some towels in there to prevent bumping around. Hows your luck with petco/petsmart health wise? I know it varies from place to place, but do your live stock usually turn out alright?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2019
  5. kallililly1973

The towels will help with the bumpy ride. I've been back in the hobby a little over 2 years and once i sorted out a couple beginner mistakes my fish from both places have done quite well. Aside from a batch of Panda Cory that i got from Petsmart they had an illness when i got them so they didn't fare too well but everyone else has done good. I respect the people at Petco more than the people at Petsmart in my area they are more genuine, personable and knowledgeable IMO

6. OP
    OP
    Caffee

I probably will add some towels then. If your from michigan you’ll know just how horrendous every road is around here, so precaution wouldnt be a bad choice on my end. Funny you mention it, i swear i hear wayyyy more negative about petsmart then petco and i would have to agree. Generally, i typically would never buy any animal from a chain due to most animals being from mills in their stores (thats a whole other topic tho). But the fish/invertebres tend to be a different story in petco’s for almost everyone. But again, it varies and knowing catching the difference between a healthy fish and an unhealthy one.

7. kallililly1973

I’m wayyyy east if you in Rhode Island but the roads are no better . I haven’t been to Petsmart in a while but there was a good worker there that was somewhat knowledgeable but didn’t care for their selection where as Petco appears to have hired a good fish manager so the variety has greatly improved from the common guppies platies Mollys n such. As far as the fish mills go I believe someone brought up in an older post a link you can go to and type in your Petco/Petsmart and see the farms they are coming from it was pretty interesting that a vast majority of the places across the country favor a particular farm but I can’t remember the name maybe it was @Islandvic that posted it

8. OP
    OP
    Caffee

Im farther down south, but youre right, its not better anywhere in this state. As for the mills/farms, im not sure if its the same deal with y,know, extremely horrid conditions as you would find say a small mammal or reptile in one of these mills that chains get their animals from. Either way, i know petsmart is notorious for getting infected fish. As for petco, i havent heard of them having as much as a problem with people. I’ll defiantly check out the post, sounds interesting. I need to call my local fish shop and see if they sell amanos (and at not at a stupid large price Icough cough*); if they do i might just skip petco entirely to play on the safe side.

9. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Just do a simple drip acclimation when you get home. I usually pour out most of the water from the bag, and use the bag water and shrimp to quarter fill a quart Mason jar. I start the drip at 1 to 2 drops per second, put everything in a 5 gallon bucket and go do other stuff. I have forgotten about them once for 2 hours. Aside from a single shrimp swimming about in the bucket instead of the overflowing Mason jar, I've had no I'll effects. My Petco amanos seem to grow bigger and faster than the ones I got from a lfs. Just make sure to properly ID them. I've rejected a couple just because they didn't look right. They were a little pale, or the shape was a little off. I've yet to find a dead one. Idk if that's because it's hard to see much in my tank so they are eaten, or I have some fairly old amanos running around in my tank.

10. skar

skarWell Known MemberMember

Just to add...
    I've gotten all my amano shrimp from Petco.
    More because of the price difference.

They are all healthy and thriving, big as any fish in the tank.
    I don't drip acclimate but that is your call how you acclimate to your tank.

11. kallililly1973

Just curious how u acclimate them? Do you just empty the bag of water in a bucket n plop the shrimp in?

12. OP
    OP
    Caffee

Thanks for the extra tip with the acclimation process. What should i look for specifically when making sure the shrimp are healthy and/or are actually amano shrimp? I know the basic look of amano shrimp, but they are super close to ghosties imo. Anything specific to look for thats signifigant?

13. OP
    OP
    Caffee

I’ll probably just get them from petco then unless i think they look suspicious. The petcos around here arent TOO bad considering its a petco. I plan to drip acclimate just to be extra cautious.

14. OP
    OP
    Caffee

@Wraithen gave a basic idea of what goes into drip acclimating. Its a little hard to explain so i recommend hoping on youtube so you can see a quick tutorial. Its super easy, just takes a bit of time.

15. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Look at a bunch of pictures of amano shrimp. Go to the store and find one that you would bet your life is an amano shrimp. Compare all the others to that one. You dont want to see any white on them, and you dont want them to seem less active than the rest. If it doesn't look perfect, dont waste your money. It sounds silly, I know, but amano are either good to go or dying. There's pretty much no in between in my experience.

16. OP
    OP
    Caffee

Alright, thanks so much

17. skar

skarWell Known MemberMember

No ... that may shock them.
    I temp float them fir 5-10 mins.
    Then dump 50% of their water to a bucket and add 4 oz of my tank h20.
    Float for 5mis and repeat till it's as close to 100% of my water as I can get

The6m they are set free.

18. kallililly1973

Similar to how I acclimate. I float the bags and add water every 10 minutes 3x for fish and 6 times for shrimp:)

19. mach6

mach6Valued MemberMember

Get a hook or something to hang them rather than lay them on the ground. 30 minutes is nothing and is of no concern to make special prep. If you need to cool it off then I'd be more worried because that would be some intense heat.

I visit my family in NYC and stop by the Petco in Union Square and bought shrimp and small fish and didn't get home until 6-7 hours after I purchased them. You can always ask to put them in a larger bag with more water.