Transport my betta five hours?

elding14

hi all! I've had Falkor, a very happy, healthy betta for about a year now but I'm moving in the next month. I do have a fellow fishkeeping friend that would be more than happy to take him, but as you can imagine I'm pretty attached at this point. It's about a five hour drive to where I'm headed- what, if any, would be the best method to take him there? thanks so much!

Aquariumlover1357

I would use a 1-gal ziplock bag and fill it with the tank water. If you're using a tank/container, the stuff inside (including your fish) would slosh around, therefore creating lots of stress, but a bag filled with water will move along with the car, so the fish won't be affected as much. Also, don't put any decor inside the bag (could cut bag or hurt betta if moving too much) and make sure you're putting something dark over the fish. If the temp is too hot, put a frozen water bottle filled with water under the bag, if too cold, put a warm water bottle (not too hot, about 5-10 degrees above the temp your betta is supposed to be in under the bag.

kattiq

Well Known
I'd say just put him in a smaller dark colored storage tote with a lid (Maybe a 5g tote). I would poke some holes in the lid to get air in but keep the water warmer. He should be fine for 5 hours I would think. And just keep him out of the path of the air conditioning in the car. You could the tank thermostat if you wanted too.
I would not put him in a 1g storage bag, it would move him around too much and stress him out- plus 5 hours it a bit too long so the O2 that would be in the bag to beginning with would get quite low.
The tote would be more stable in my opinion. And definitely use the same tank water he is in now.

Also make sure to keep all substrate, filter media, decor etc in tank water so the BB keeps alive.

Salem

Well Known
Seeing as it's only for a short amount of time you could place him into something similar to the cups they have them in at stores. Alternatively you could try and get your hands on a breather bag- they're often used to transport fish long distance- though it may be difficult to get just a single one. It should be okay just to keep him on your lap or the seat but if you want to be extra safe you can replicate how fish are normally shipped. Inside their container and then inside a second larger insulated box- if you have a lunch bag, cooler bag, or just a cooler they would all work.
Avoid feeding him the day or two before to help prevent him from pooping during the trip too just as extra security.

As for the tank you'd want to drain it. Put any filter media into a ziplock or water tight container with more of the tank water. You want it to stay wet. If you have any live plants you may want to leave about an half an inch or so of water and put plastic wrap over the lid.

Zach72202

All of the ideas above are very good, but I have one thing to add. When you are moving do not try to over compensate for keeping the fish cool or warm. If you are driving and you keep your car like room temperature and you are comfortable like that, chances are your betta is comfortable temp wise. Another recommendation is that you may want to keep him in at least 1/2 to 1 gallon of water so temperature does not vary much (given you will be taking at least a break or two when the car is off), and I would not keep him in direct sunlight because I would not want to stare at the sun for 5 hours, so neither would my fish, also this can raise temp. If you put him in a bag then you could keep his plastic bag inside of a paper bag so he feels safe because if he is just in open air he could feel like he is just in the middle of the ocean with no cover and it may stress him out. Also it would help with retaining temp a little bit.

New Threads