Transparent Snail!

Discussion in 'Snails' started by windrunner9189, Mar 15, 2019.

1. windrunner9189

windrunner9189Well Known MemberMember

for a while now ive had bladder snails in my tank with no way to rid of them. but lately i've seen this guy crawling around.. definitely looks like another pond snail but my goodness! yes, it is alive, i got two shots of it and it moves down the wood. if you look close enough you can see the heart beating.
    sure, i want to get rid of these snails, but this is super cool and is nothing ive seen before. today is my day to gravel vac so i will try my best not to vacuum it up.
    has this happened to anybody else before?

Attached Files:

2. ScareCrowe

ScareCroweValued MemberMember

I have an ivory mystery snail which is translucent enough that I can see its heart beating.

3. OP
    OP
    windrunner9189

yeah. i was thinking it's some sort of genetic thing.
    i've read somewhere that most likely it is because many people have bred lines of them. i assume it's recessive.

i was looking around somewhere else and it said water conditions would be the cause of it, but it didn't say good or bad. i have perfect params, but very alkaline water, with abundant KH and GH to where i literally get nasty calcium buildup/hard water stains every time the water stains the lid. the calcium is perfect for snails (sigh)

4. ScareCrowe

ScareCroweValued MemberMember

Same here on water conditions, I'm usually 8-8.2 on PH & I've never tested for hardness, but the water in my area is notoriously hard. We have a softener but I pull the tank water before it gets to the softener so I'm sure it's pretty hard. If I forget to put salt in the softener I get calcium deposits on all my faucets etc.

5. OP
    OP
    windrunner9189

i don't have any kind of softener. if anything it should help out the shrimp im getting, to help them in molting. i got a batch of them the other day and i see molts everywhere, which i hope is a good sign.
    i just finished the WC and i still see the snail! ill keep an eye on it and maybe start setting up another tiny tank to maybe start breeding these guys in.

6. Magicpenny75

Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Aren't snail shells made primarily of calcium carbonate, like other mollusks? I have no advice to offer, because I have only weed snails and really don't care much about their well being. It would seem that if my info is correct, that a clear shell would be a bad thing. When I've found snails with thin or perforated shells they have been paper thin. I've been told it's due to a lack of balance between calcium and alkalinity, but your water params don't bear that out. How weird.

7. OP
    OP
    windrunner9189

i don't know much about these snails either, but yeah calcium plays a big part of how good their shells are. i have plenty of other snails in there with normal shells. but.. when doing the gravel vac i noticed a motionless shell that was clear. definitely not alive though.
    i haven't done an actual hardness test from API, but i have test strips in the back that will test for it. maybe i could do a retest... but these things are super inaccurate. for goodness sakes, it says i have 0.5 mg chlorine, but i overdosed prime (double dosed) it also says i have 6.0 PH, which i most certainly don't. (i just realized i posted the picture but nobody has any idea what is measuring what. it doesn't matter much though because the point is these aren't very accurate.
    clues that tell me i have hard water, along with the calcium buildup, is that ph almost never budges. it sticks around 8.1.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  8. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

My pH is 7.4, but KH and GH are only 2 degrees from tap. So pond snails and ramshorns always end up with etched shells that disintegrate away, and they don't reproduce unless I feed lots of calcium foods or buffer the water.

Since you have other healthy pest snails, I'll guess it's a genetic thing in your case. I seem to remember seeing lighter snails then others in my mom's hardwater tank.

9. OP
    OP
    windrunner9189

some shells look more transparent than others. it's a little hard to see in the pictures, but some shells are slightly see-through

it could be either one really. i still saw shrimp molts laying around, which means that i still have the calcium in there.
    hmm. really is a mystery. maybe sometime i can invest in a GH and KH kit from API.

Attached Files:

10. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Yea I could keep neo shrimp no problem, I have amano and bamboo shrimp, but pest snails are a no-go. Nerite snails, MTS and assasin are fine for a long time like years before the shell tips turn white and etch.

The thing is, diatoms (which they feed on) contains calcium. Lots of it I think. To me it looks like a lighter color rather than etching.